Bridstow is a parish and village, 1 mile nnd a half west from Ross railway station, 9 miles north from Monmouth, 12½ south-east from Hereford, and 122½ from London, in the lower division of Wormelow hundred, Ross union, county court district and petty sessional division, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric, and rural deanery of Archenfield; it is situated on the right bank of the river Wye, at the junction of the old and new roads to Hereford. The church of St. Bridget has lately been restored, all but the tower having been rebuilt from the ground; it has a nave, two side aisles, porch, and chancel; the ancient chancel arch, dating from two years before the Norman conquest, has been preserved in the new church. The living is a vicarage, with a rent-charge of £237 15s., with a good residence and about 62 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford; the Rev. Henry W. Tweed, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, is the incumbent. Here is a National school for boys and girls. The soil is a sandy loam; the subsoil is red sandstone rock. The Governors of Guy’s Hospital are lords of the manor and owners of the greater part of the land. The population in 1861 was 717; the acreage is 2,080.

Wilton, or Wilton-on-the-Wye, is a hamlet and neat village in this parish, situated on the right side of the river, at the spot where the noble stone bridge crosses the Wye on the Ross, Hereford, and Monmouth roads. Just above the bridge stand the remains of Wilton Castle, the baronial residence of Hugh de Longchamp in the reign of Henry 1.; it afterwards passed to the noble family of Grey de Wilton, and gives them their title.

Parish Clerk, Henry Yates.

Bridstow.

Allaway James, esq. Marraston house

Armitage Arthur,Esq.J.P. Dudnor house

Jackson Colonel

Jackson Mr. Richard

Price Misses, Benhall

Sleeman Colonel, Wearend cottage

Tweed Rev. Henry W. M.A. [vicar]

Commercial.

Beavan George, builder & carpenter, Oak cottage

Bickerton Jeremiah, boot& shoe maker

Brown Thomas, farmer, Wearend farm

Collins George, shopkeeper, Burnt ho

Edwards Mrs. farmer, Ash farm

Floyd William, gardener, Wearend

Hodges Peter, carpenter, wheelwright & shopkeeper, Poolmill

Hodges Samuel, blacksmith

Kirsey Charles, farmer

Lucas James, farmer, Whitecross

Lucas Robert, farmer, Bower farm

Monk James, farm bailiff to Misses Price, Benhall farm

Morgan Richard, farmer

Nicholls James, farmer

Pearce John, farmer

Price Misses, farmers, Benhall farm

Pritchard John, farmer, Kyrle’s cross

Pye Thomas, farmer

Wyle William, farmer

Yates Henry, carpenter

Wilton.

Biss Mrs

Collins Nathaniel Kyrle, esq. Wilton cot

Evans Misses

Prosser Mrs. Elizabeth

Smith Mr. James, Wilton court

Smith R. Wyndham, esq. Wilton house

Commercial.

Coburn James, boot & shoe maker

Coburn Mrs. milliner

Cowmeadow Jane (Mrs.), straw bonnet maker

Davies Joseph, King’s Head, & shop keeper

Dodd John, shopkeeper

Poole John, White Lion

Post Office.— Thomas Minett, receiver, Wilton-on-the-Wye. Letters through Ross arrive at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 6.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Ross.

National School, Miss Emma Straight, mistress

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.