Burghill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Tillington.
The civil parish of Burghill includes Tillington, Portway and Eltons Marsh.
Parish church: St Mary the Virgin
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1655
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Burghill
- Stretton Sugwas
- Moreton on Lugg
- Pipe and Lyde
- Canon Pyon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BURGHILL, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands near the river Lug, 1½ mile SW of Moreton r. station, and 3¾ NW of Hereford; and has a post office under Hereford. The parish includes also the township of Tillington. Acres, 3,704. Real property, £7,018. Pop., 934. Houses, 197. The property is divided among a few. Burghill Court is the seat of B. Biddulph, Esq. An ancient square camp occurs in the parish, near the Portway to Kenchester. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £94. Patron, B. Biddulph, Esq. The church is Norman, with a pinnacled tower; was entirely restored in 1854; and contains a fine altarscreen, a figured font, and a monument of Sir John Milbourne, Bart. A school has £8 from endowment; and other charities £12. The subdistrict contains twelve parishes, most of another, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 23,851. Pop., 5,737. Houses, 1,195.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Burghill, 4 miies N.W. Hereford. P. 863.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Tillington, a township, in the parish of Burghill, hundred of Grimsworth, union and county of Hereford, 5 miles (NW by N) from Hereford; containing 462 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Weston
- Poor Law Union: Hereford
- Hundred: Grimsworth
- Province: Canterbury