Canon Frome, Herefordshire Family History Guide



Canon Frome is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Civil parish: Canon Frome

Parish church: St James

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1680
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1664

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Canon Frome

  • Castle Frome
  • Stretton Grandison
  • Ashperton
  • Much Cowarne
  • Bosbury
  • Munsley

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CANON-FROME, a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford; on the river Frome, 2 miles N of Ashperton r. station, and 6 NW by N of Ledbury. Post Town, Bosbury, under Ledbury. Acres, 1,023. Real property, £1,278. Pop., 115. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. Canon-Frome Court is the seat of the Rev. John Hopton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £220. Patron, the Rev. John Hopton. The church was built in 1861; is in the early English style, with ornate chancel and alabaster reredos; and retains the tower of a previous church.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Canon-Froome, 7 miles N.W. Ledbury. P. 115

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

English: Canon Frome church Dedicated to St. J...
English: Canon Frome church Dedicated to St. James. The tower dates from around 1680 when the church was rebuilt after the civil war. The rest of the church dates from 1860. The architect was George Frederick Bodley, a pupil of George Gilbert Scott. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Froome, Canon (St. James), a parish, in the union of Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Ledbury; containing 115 inhabitants. This place was a military station in the civil war; the court-house was fortified for the king, and afterwards became an intermediate garrison between Hereford and Worcester; and the church, which was situated close to it, was destroyed to render it more defensible. The old manor-house of the Hopton family was also garrisoned by the royalists, and afterwards wholly dismantled by the parliamentarians. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Froome, and the canal from Gloucester, through Ledbury, to Hereford passes its south-west boundary. It comprises 1023a. 36p., of which about 100 acres are woodland, and the remainder is computed to be nearly equal portions of arable and pasture; the ground is undulated, and the soil in general rich loam, occasionally alternated with sand; limestone gravel, excellent for roads, is abundant. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed by the Hopton family with the rectorial tithes, valued in the King’s books at £4. 13. 4., and in the gift of the incumbent, the Rev. John Hopton, whose ancestors for several generations have been lords of the manor: the tithes have been commuted for £181. 7., and the glebe contains 4 acres. The church was rebuilt with brick after the Restoration. A school for girls is supported by the incumbent.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Directories

Canon Frome Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ledbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Frome
  • Poor Law Union: Ledbury
  • Hundred: Radlow
  • Province: Canterbury