Castle Frome, Herefordshire Family History Guide



Castle Frome is an Ancient parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Alternative names: Castle Froome

Parish church: St Michael and All Angels

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1719
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Castle Frome

  • Stretton Grandison
  • Canon Frome
  • Bishop’s Frome with Fromes Hill
  • Much Cowarne
  • Bosbury

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CASTLE-FROME, a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford; on the river Frome, 3 miles NNE of Ashperton r. station, and 6 NNW of Ledbury. Post Town, Bishops-Frome, under Worcester. Acres, 1,511. Real property, £2,042. Pop., 115. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value £300. Patron, F. T. Freeman, Esq. The church is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Castle-Froome, 7 m. N. Ledbury. P. 183

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

St. Michael and All Angels, Castle Fr...
St. Michael and All Angels, Castle Frome Early Norman in origin, the church is composed of a nave, chancel and Victorian, timber-framed bell-turret with spire. Originally a resting place for soldiers from the nearby castle. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Froome, Castle (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Ledbury; containing 183 inhabitants. This parish, which is watered by the river Froome, comprises 1474 acres; the surface is varied with hills and dales; the soil is a rich loam, alternated with clay, resting on a limestone gravel in the arable lands, and the meadow and pasture lands are rich and luxuriant. The road from Ledbury to Bromyard intersects the parish from south to north. There are extensive quarries of limestone and of freestone of good quality for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £5. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Rev. W. J. Lyell: the tithes have been commuted for £270, and the glebe contains 55 3/4 acres.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Directories

Castle Frome Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ledbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Frome
  • Poor Law Union: Ledbury
  • Hundred: Radlow
  • Province: Canterbury