Clifford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Vowmine.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1690
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Clifford

  • Dorstone
  • Bredwardine
  • Cusop
  • Brilley
  • Whitney
  • Winforton
  • Clyro

Historical Descriptions

Clifford

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Clifford, 9 miles S.S.W. Kington. P. 892

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Vowmine

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Vowmine, included in Clifford, and Dorstone.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Vowmine, a township, partly in the parish of Clifford, hundred of Huntington, and partly in the parish of Dorstone, hundred of Webtree, union of Hay, county of Hereford, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Hay; containing 97 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Hay
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Weobley
  • Poor Law Union: Hay
  • Hundred: Huntington
  • Province: Canterbury