Dewsall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire. Callow is a chapelry of Dewsall.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1582
Parishes adjacent to Dewsall
- Much Dewchurch
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DEWSALL, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; 1½ mile SE of Tram-Inn r. station, and 4 ½ SSE of Hereford. Post town, Much-Dewchurch, under Ross. Acres, 676. Real property, £993. Pop., 36. Houses, 8. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Callow, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £200. Patron, the Rev. W. B. Mynors. The church is ancient but good, and contains some handsome monuments.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Dewsall, a parish in Wormelow hund., union and county of Hereford; 4½ miles south-west by south of Hereford. Living, a discharged vicarage annexed to the perpetual curacy of Acconbury. There were 14 acres of hops grown here in 1835. Acres 500. Houses 5. A. P. £657. Pop., in 1801, 47; in 1831, 44. Poor rates, in 1837, £16.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Dewsall, 6 miles S. Hereford. P. 40.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Dewsall (St. Michael), a parish, in the Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, union and county of Hereford, 5½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Hereford; containing 40 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 667 acres of fertile land; the surface is pleasingly varied, and from the higher grounds are some fine views of the surrounding country, embracing the Welsh mountains. The living, which was formerly united with those of Callow and Acornbury, is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and in the patronage of Guy’s Hospital, London: the tithes have been commuted for £114. 4. 6., and the glebe contains 2 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Hereford
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Archenfield
- Poor Law Union: Hereford
- Hundred: Wormelow
- Province: Canterbury