Lingen is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1751
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Lingen
- Brampton Bryan
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LINGEN, a parish, with a village, in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford; on a branch of the river Lug, 4 miles NE of Presteigne, and 4½ S of Bucknell r. station. Post town, Presteigne, Radnorshire. Acres, 2,283. Real property, with Willey, £3,589. Pop., 287. Houses, 63. The manor belongs to John Edwards, Esq. Remains of an old castle are near the village. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £70. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is plain, and has a belfry. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Lingen, 4 m. N.E. Presteign. P. 285.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Lingen, a parish in the hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 4 miles (E. N.E.) from Presteigne, containing 284 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. Thomas Wynn. The church is dedicated to St. Michael.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Presteigne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Leominster
- Poor Law Union: Kington
- Hundred: Wigmore
- Province: Canterbury