Much Cowarne, Herefordshire Family History Guide



Much Cowarne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1559

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Much Cowarne

  • Ocle Pychard
  • Castle Frome
  • Yarkhill
  • Stretton Grandison
  • Canon Frome
  • Bishop’s Frome with Fromes Hill
  • Stoke Lacy
  • Avenbury
  • Morton Jeffries

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

COWARNE (Much), a parish in Bromyard district, Hereford; 5¾ miles SSW of Bromyard, and 8 E of Moreton r. station. Post town, Stoke-Lacey, under Worcester. Acres, 3,706. Real property, £4,978. Pop., 563. Houses, 110. Cowarne Court is the seat of the Thomases. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church spire and part of the church were destroyed by lightning in 1840.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Cowarne (Much), 4 miles S. Bromyard. P. 557

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Directories

Cowarne Magna Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bromyard
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Frome
  • Poor Law Union: Bromyard
  • Hundred: Broxash
  • Province: Canterbury