Bosbury, Herefordshire Family History Guide



Bosbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Upleadon and Catley.

Parish church: Holy Trinity

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Bosbury

  • Castle Frome
  • Cradley
  • Mathon
  • Canon Frome
  • Bishop’s Frome with Fromes Hill
  • Wellington Heath
  • Coddington
  • Ledbury
  • Munsley

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BOSBURY, a village and a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford. The village stands on the river Leddon, under the Malvern hills, 3 miles WNW of Colwall r. station, and 4 N by W of Ledbury; and has a post office under Ledbury. The parish includes the parochial divisions of Upleadon and Catley. Acres, 4,769. Real property, £8,499. Pop., 1,090. Houses, 234. The property is much subdivided. An old building, now used as a farmhouse, was once a seat of the Bishops of Hereford. The parish is a meet for the Ledbury hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £337. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is ancient and good. A grammar school has £90 from endowment; other charities £33.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bosbury with Upleader [sic], a parish in the hund. of Radlow, union of Ledbury, county of Hereford; 4 miles north by west of Ledbury, Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Hereford, valued at £10 3s. 8d.; gross income £379; in the patronage of the bishop of Hereford. This parish possesses a daily school, and two Sunday schools. In addition to these there is a school here, endowed by Sir Rowland Morton with lands and houses; but having been thrown into the chancery, the revenues are swallowed up by law expenses, the houses dilapidated, the school-room shut up, and the tenants now refuse to pay the rents. Pop., in 1801, 776; in 1831, 1061. Houses 224. Acres 5,200; upwards of 200 acres of hops are grown. A. P. £5,760. Poor rates, in 1837, £718.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bosbury with Upleadon, 4 miles N. Ledbury. P. 1137

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Directories

Bosbury Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ledbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Frome
  • Poor Law Union: Ledbury
  • Hundred: Radlow
  • Province: Canterbury