Weston-on-Avon is an Ancient Parish partly in Gloucestershire and partly in Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Milcote or Milcott, Weston tything.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1685
Parishes adjacent to Weston-on-Avon
- Marston Sicca
- Clifford Chambers
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Weston-upon-Avon, a parish in the district of Stratford-on-Avon, and counties of Gloucester and Warwick; on the river Avon, and on the Honeybourne and Stratford railway, around Milcote r. station, and 3½ miles SW by S of Stratford-on-Avon. Post town, Welford, under Stratford-on-Avon. Acres of the Gloucester portion, which is Weston tything, 1,060; of the Warwick portion, which is Milcote lordship, 480. Real property, £1,376 and £1,122. Pop, 80 and 57. Houses, 19 and 9. The manor belongs to Countess Delawarr. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £84. Patron, Countess Delawarr. The church is good. There is an endowed school with £11 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
WESTON upon AVON, a parish partly in the Alcester division of the hundred of BARLICHWAY, county of WARWICK, but chiefly in the upper division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 4½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Stratford on Avon, containing, with the hamlet of Milcott, 107 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king’s books at £7. 14. 7., endowed with £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Duke of Dorset. The church is dedicated to All Saints.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Marriages at Weston-on-Avon, 1690 to 1810
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – The earliest Volume of Registers is of parchment, and measures fourteen by eight inches, bound in brown tooled leather, with clasps of brass. The entries are many of them of much interest, but entered indiscriminately in chronological order. The Benefice was held as an appendage to “ye Free Grammar School on Stratford-upon-Avon”, and the headmasters of that School were also Rectors of Weston. The second volume covers the period from 1755 to 1812. The Marriages have been extracted by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, M.A., Rector of Whitchurch, and are printed under his supervision, with the consent of the Rev. J. Davenport, M.A., Rector.
Family History Links for Weston-on-Avon
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stratford on Avon
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Stratford on Avon
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury