Cam is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1569
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Cam
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CAM, a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester; on the Cam rivulet and the Dursley railway, under the Cotswolds, 1 mile N of Dursley. It has a station on the railway; and its Post Town is Dursley. Acres, 2,946. Real property, £9,079. Pop., 1,500. Houses, 373. The property is divided among a few. Excellent cheese is produced. Cloth manufacture is carried on in a large establishment. A battle was fought here, in the time of Edward the Elder, between the Danes and the Saxons. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Low Cam, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is early English. There are endowed and national schools and large charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Cam, 1 mile N.E. Dursley. P. 1851.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Cam (St. George), a parish, in the union of Dursley, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 1 mile (N.) from Dursley; containing 1851 inhabitants. This place is distinguished as the scene of a battle, fought between the Saxons and the Danes, in the reign of Edward the Elder. The parish, which takes its name from a rivulet that divides it into Upper and Lower, and falls into the Severn at Frampton, comprises 2531a. 1r. 26p., of which 2025 acrs are pasture, 263 arable, and 242 common land; the soil is in general a strong clay. There are several quarries of white and of brown freestone, which, when kept dry, is of good quality for building; and facility of communication is afforded by the Gloucester and Bristol railway, which crosses the lower part of the parish. A considerable portion of the land lies low, but the meadows afford excellent pasture, and the district is noted for the superiority of its cheese. The majority of the inhabitants are employed in the finer branches if the clothing trade, and the weavers of the place are among the best workmen in the kingdom. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £150; patron and appropriator, Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The tithes have been commuted for £500, and the glebe consists of 23a. 2r. The church, which has been improved Nd newly pewed at a considerable expense, is an ancient structure, in the later English style: in the porch was formerly a figure of the patron saint, carved in wood, which, in the reign of Edward VI., was taken down and removed to Colnbrook, from which circumstance the George inn in that town received its name. There ate places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. In 1730, Mrs. France’s Hopton bequeathed an estate for a school, now producing nearly £200 per annum; and a national school is supported by subscription.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Marriages at Cam 1569 to 1812
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol VIII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Dursley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Dursley
- Poor Law Union: Dursley
- Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury