Longhope is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1742
Nonconformists in Longhope: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Longhope
- Aston Ingham
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870
Longhope, a parish in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucester; on the Gloucester and Hereford railway, near the boundary with Hereford, 6 miles N by W of Newnham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Gloucester; and is cut into two divisions, lower and upper. Acres, 3,070. Real property of the i. div., £2,713; of the ii. div., £2,647. Pop., 1,104. Houses, 229. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to E. Probyn, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester. Value, £400. * Patron, Gen. Sir John W. Guise, Bart. The church is ancient; was recently restored; and had a spire which became unsound, and was about to be taken down in 1867. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £135.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
Longhope, Upper and Lower (All Saints), in the union of Westbury, duchy of Lancaster, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Newent; containing 929 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2835 acres, of which 459 are common or waste. May Hill, within its limits, forms a landmark from the Bristol Channel. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king’s books at £9. 7. 11½., and in the gift of the Archdeacon of Llandaff and the Rev. John Probyn: the tithes have been commuted for £396. 17., and the glebe comprises 17 acres, with a house. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848
Longhope, a parish in the hund, of the duchy of Lancaster, union of Westbury-on-Severn, county of Gloucester; 5 miles south by west of Newent. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £9 7s. 11½d.; gross income £394. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. J. Probin. The Wesleyan Methodisls have a place of worship here; and there is a daily School. Acres 2,970. Houses 170. A. P. £3,425. Pop., in 1801, 635; in 1831, 873. Poor rates, in 1838, £234 15s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Westbury on Severn
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Westbury on Severn
- Hundred: Duchy of Lancaster
- Province: Canterbury
Family History Links
Longhope Village Website – Census data, Parish Records, Gravestone inscriptions and Family Trees of people in Longhope and nearby villages.