Longney is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1660
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Independent/Congregational.
Parishes adjacent to Longney
- Moreton Valence
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LONGNEY, a village and a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester. The village stands on the river Severn, 1 mile W of the Gloucester and Berkeley ship canal, 3½ WNW of Haresfield r. station, and 6 SW by S of Gloucester; and has a postal pillar-box under Gloucester. The parish comprises 1,070 acres. Real property, £3,814; of which £16 are in fisheries. Pop., 486. Houses, 113. The property is much subdivided. The manor and much of the land belong to the Trustees of Smith’s charity. Orchards here are famous for the Longney russet apple. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £110. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English, in good condition; comprises nave and two chancels, with a tower; and has an ancient font. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £30.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Longney, 4 miles S. W. Gloucester. P. 490
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848
Longney, a parish in the upper division of the hund, of Whitstone, union of Wheatenhurst, county of Gloucester; 6 miles south-south-west of Gloucester, on the banks of the Severn, and in the line of the Gloucester and Berkeley Ship canal. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the arcbd, and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd, of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £12 1s. 8d., returned at £80; gross income £100. Tithes, moduses, &c, commuted in 1812. Patron, the Lord-Chancellor. Charities, in 1826, £31 per annum, Poor rates, in 1838, £313 2s. Acres 1,070. Houses 97. A. P. £2,513. Pop., in 1801, 314; in 1831, 453.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Wheatenhurst
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Wheatenhurst
- Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury