Longney Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863



Longney is a parish and village, situated on the river Severn, nearly 7 miles south-west from Gloucester railway station, in the upper division of Whitstone hundred, Wheatenhurst union and county court district, Gloucester rural deanery and archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church of St. Lawrence is an old stone building in the Early English style, and has a tower with 8 bells, nave, two chancels, and font of later date than the church itself. The living is a vicarage, value £100 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. J. Daniel is the incumbent, and the Rev. John Butterfield, M.A. is curate. There is an Independent meeting-house. The population in 1861 was 486; the acreage is about 1,070. The soil is clayey: the trustees of Smith’s Charity are lords of the manor and chief landowners. There are charities of about £30 yearly value.

Castle End, Bellamy’s, Waterend, The Court, Horsepools, Lynch, and Wicks are places here.

Parish Clerk, William Soule.

Butterfield Rev. John, M.A. [curate]

Powle Miss Ellen

Beaght Thomas Perry, farmer

Bick Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Boughton Joseph, butcher

Browning Daniel, boat owner

Browning John, farmer

Bullock Robert, farmer & beer retailer

Ellis Alfred, farmer

Ellis William, butter dealer &c

Gabb George, blacksmith

Gower William, shopkeeper

Hawkins Henry, farmer

Hawkins Leonard, farmer

Hyett John, carpenter & wheelwright

Jackson Charles, farmer

Jones Gilbert, farmer, Waterend farm

Land Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Longney Walter, farmer, The Court

Longney William, farmer, brickmaker & barge owner

Matthews Richard, bricklayer

Meadows Daniel, farmer & beer retailer

Meadows Edward, butcher

Merratt Daniel, farmer, Horsepools

Pegler Leonard, farmer

Pockett Daniel, farmer

Ravenhill Charles, farmer, brickmaker & barge owner, Lynch

Savage Joseph, farmer

Silvey John, brickmaker

Sims Josiah, beer retailer

Smith William, farmer

Soule William, shopkeeper

Soule William Michael, farmer & boot & shoe maker

Vimpany Amos, farmer

Ward Henry, farmer

Weyman Charles, farmer & beer retailer

Woodman Daniel, farmer

Letters received through Gloucester. A pillar box is placed near the church; letters are dispatched at 4.30 p.m. The nearest money order offices are at Frampton-on-Severn & Gloucester.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.