Last Updated on
Minsterworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1633
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Parishes adjacent to Minsterworth
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MINSTERWORTH, a village and a parish in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucestershire. The village stands on the river Severn, near the Great Western railway, 3¾ miles WSW of Gloucester; was anciently called Mortune; is a straggling place; and has a post office under Gloucester. The parish comprises 1,938 acres. Real property, £5,691; of which £55 are in fisheries. Pop., 463. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. Duni House is the seat of W. V. Ellis, Esq.; Minsterworth Court is the seat of G. S. Gracie, Esq.; and Hygrove belongs to B. Evans, Esq. There are cider orchards. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a low tower; and it formerly had a spire, which was destroyed by lightning about 1702. There are a national school, and charities £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Minsterworth, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Gloucester (104) 4½ m. W. b S. Pop. 462.
A parish in the hundred of the duchy of Lancaster; living, a dis. vicarage in the archdeaconry of Hereford and diocese of Gloucester, valued in K. B. 10l. 13s. 4d.; ann. val. P.R. 83l. 3s. 2d.; church ded. to St. George; patron, the Bishop of Bristol. Here is an endowed school, and much cider is made in the neighbourhood.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Marriages at Minsterworth 1633 to 1812
Note. – Volume I is a parchment book size, 16 in. by 6 in., in fairly good order. It contains Christenings from 1633 to 1738; Marriages from 1633 to 1738; Burials from 1633 to 1726.
Volume II is a large folio in parchment, 14 in. by 12 in., containing Christenings and Burials from March 25th 1739 to 1813.
Volume III is a Marriage Register of parchment, 12 in. by 8 in., from 1754 to 1790 in very bad condition, having been injured by water when the Church was flooded by the rising of the Severn in the year 1770, as was also Volume II, though not to the same extent.
Volume IV is a book of printed forms containing Marriages from the year 1790 to 1813 in good order.
These extracts were made by the Rev. Charles O. Bartlett, vicar of Minsterworth, and are now printed by his leave and under his supervision.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Westbury on Severn
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Westbury on Severn
- Hundred: Duchy of Lancaster
- Province: Canterbury