Moreton Valence, Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Moreton Valence is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Stephen
Parish registers begin: 1681
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Moreton Valence
- Frampton on Severn
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MORETON-VALENCE, a parish, with a scattered Village, in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester; on the Gloucester and Berkeley canal, 2½ miles WSW of Haresfield r. station, and 3½ NNW of Stonehouse. Post town, Stonehouse, Gloucestershire. Acres, 1,432; of which 33 are water. Real property, £3,972; of which £250 are in the canal, and £520 in railways. Pop., 337. Houses, 75. The property is much subdivided. Standish House belongs to Lord Sherborne, and is occupied by R. Potter, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £85. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is chiefly later English; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and was recently repaired. A section of the parish, which contained a pop. of 180 in 1861, is within Framilode chapelry.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Morton Valence, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Stroud (121) 8 m. NW. Pop. 348.
A parish in the hundred of Whitstone, bordering on the Gloucester and Berkeley Canal. The living is a perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, is a very ancient structure, having on the north side a Norman doorway, with a semicircular arch, within the curve of which is a rude figure representing St. Michael fighting with Satan under the form of a dragon, sculptured in low relief. Here are iron works.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Wheatenhurst
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Wheatenhurst
- Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury