Llanddewi Abergwesyn Breconshire Family History Guide



English: Abergwesyn
English: Abergwesyn (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

13½ miles (N.N.E.) from Llandovery.

This parish, which comprises one of the wildest and least cultivated tracts in the county, derives its name from the dedication of its church, and from the little river Gwessin. The roads are utterly impassable for carriages, and unsafe even for common carts.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Llanfihangel Abergwesyn
  • Llanwrtyd
  • Llanwrthwl
  • Caron-uwch-clawdd
  • Llansantffraid-Cwmdeuddwr

Churches

English: Abergwesyn church The small church of...
English: Abergwesyn church The small church of Llanddewi (St David’s) in Abergwesyn doesn’t appear to be used any more. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Llanddewi Abergwesyn Parish Church

Dedication: St. David
Parish registers begin:
Minister: Revd. Edward Jones (1851)
Service in Welsh

Moriah Chapel, Llanddewi Abergwessin Independent

Erected: 1828
Day School held
Deacon (1851): Rees Jenkins, Penybont, Llanwrtyd Wells.

Historical Descriptions

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Llan-Ddewi-Aber-Gwessyn, 14 m. W. Builth. P. 143

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848

LLANDDEWI-ABER-GWESIN, a parish in the hund. and union of Builth, county of Brecon, South Wales; 14 miles west by north of Builth, at the confluence of the rivers Irven and Gwesin. Living, a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Llan-Gammarch. Houses 21. A. P. £293. Pop., in 1801, 118; in 1831, 146. Poor rates, in 1833, £22 6s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1845

English: Cwm Irfon, Powys The mountain road fr...
English: Cwm Irfon, Powys The mountain road from Tregaron to Abergwesyn is about to descend the (in)famous Devil’s Staircase into the valley of the Afon Irfon. Several hairpin bends include gradients of around 25%. The single track route is a former drover’s road, and although very scenic, should be avoided in icy weather, and after prolonged heavy rain. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Llanddewi-Abergwessin (Llanddewi-Aber-Gwesyn), a parish, in the union and hundred of Builth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 13½ miles (N. N. E.) from Llandovery; containing 143 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises one of the wildest and least cultivated tracts in the county, derives its name from the dedication of its church, and from the little river Gwessin, near the confluence of which with the Irvon the village is situated: Llwynderw, or “the oak grove,” a handsome edifice, is the only gentleman’s residence.Lead-ore has been found within its limits, but is not now worked. The roads are utterly impassable for carriages, and unsafe even for common carts. Of the rateable annual value the return made amounts to £608. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Llangammarch; the church is dedicated to St. David. There is a place of worship for Independents.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Directories

Kelly’s directory of Monmouthshire and South Wales, 1920

Population

1801, 118
1831, 146
1841: 143
1851: 103 (49 males; 54 females)

Residences

Llwynderw, “the oak grove,” a handsome edifice is the only gentleman’s residence

Minerals

Lead-ore has been found within its limits, but is not now worked.

Administration

Abergwesyn common
Abergwesyn common (Photo credit: joysaphine)

County: Breconshire
Civil Registration District:
Diocese: St. David
Rural Deanery: Builth
Poor Law Union: Builth
Hundred: Builth
County Court District: Builth
Area: South Wales

Sources:

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.