Oxenhall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1665
Parishes adjacent to Oxenhall
- Much Marcle
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OXENHALL, a parish in Newent district, Gloucester; on the Hereford and Gloucester canal, 1¾ mile N W of Newent, 2¼ E of the boundary with Herefordshire, and 5¼ N by E of Mitcheldean-Road r.station. It was anciently called Horsenehal. Post-town, Newent, under Gloucester. Acres, 1,887. Real property, £2,871. Pop., 272. Houses, 57. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with the Furnace and much of the land, belongs to R. F. Onslow, Esq. A vein of excellent ironstone was recently discovered, and begun to be worked. A tunnel of the canal is here, 6,576 feet long. A Roman settlement was at Cold Harbour. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £80. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church consists of nave and chancel, with porch, and with W tower and spire; contains an old leaden font; and was reported in 1859 as bad.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Oxenhall, 1 mile N. Newent. P. 292
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Newent
- Probate Court: Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Newent
- Hundred: Botloe
- Province: Canterbury