Last Updated on
Tormarton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. West Littleton and Acton Turville are chapelries of Tormarton.
Parish church: St. Mary Magdalene
Parish registers begin: 1679
Parishes adjacent to Tormarton
- West Kington
- Wapley with Codrington
- West Littleton
- Old Sodbury
- Acton Turville
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TORMARTON, a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; 4 miles SE of Chipping-Sodbury, and 5 SE by E of Yate r. station. Post town, Chippenham. Acres, 2,645. Real property, £4,125. Pop., 464. Houses, 99. The manor belongs to the Duke of Beaufort. The living is a rectory, united with Acton-Turville and West Littleton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £800. Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church is ancient, and has been beautifully restored. There are a national school, and charities £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Tormarton with West Littleton, 1600 to 1812; Including Acton Turville 1754 to 1812
Note. – The Register commences in 1679. Some of the Marriages recorded were solemnized at the Chapel-of-Ease at W. Littleton, but most of them in Tormarton Church. Volume I ends 1721.
Volume II includes Baptisms and Burials 1721 – 1812, and Marriages 1721 – 1753.
Volume III contains Marriages only, on the usual printed forms, 1754 – 1812; it is headed: “A Marriage Register Book for the Rectory of Tormarton, with the Chapelries of Littleton and Turvilsacton.” As printed, T. = Tormarton, L. = West Littleton, and A. = Acton Turville.
There are Transcripts in the Diocesan Registry at Gloucester for Tormarton with West Littleton prior to 1679 for the following years: 1578 no Marriages, 1599-1602, 1605, 1606, 1607, 1609, 1612, 1613, 1617, 1618, 1620-5, 1627-9, 1632, 1637-8. 1640, 1660-4, 1667-72, 1675, and 1678. Of these the Transcripts for nineteen years contain no Marriage entries.
The Marriage entries have been copied from the Transcripts and the Register by Rev. W. Symonds, M.A., and are printed with the sanction of the Rev. T. J. Bowen, B.D., Rector of Tormarton.
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XIII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1908.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
- Hundred: Grumbald’s Ash
- Province: Canterbury