Tidenham, Gloucestershire Family History Guide



Tidenham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Bishton, Church End, Webden, Stoat, and Sedbury.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1708

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Tidenham

  • Lancaut
  • Woolaston
  • Beachley

Historical Descriptions

Tidenham

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

TIDENHAM, a parish, with a village and six hamlets, in the district of Chepstow and county of Gloucester; on the peninsula between the Severn and the Wye, 2 miles NNE of Chepstow r. station. It has a post-office under Chepstow. Acres, 9,527; of which 3,310 are water. Real property, £9,345; of which £29 are in quarries, and £52 in fisheries. Pop., 1,661. Houses, 335. The property is subdivided. T. House, Sedbury Park, and Tutshill House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £441. Patron, D. H. Burr, Esq. The church is early and decorated English. The p. curacy of Beachley is a separate benefice. A new chapel of ease, called St. Luke’s, is at Tutshill; and there are a room used as a chapel of ease, a Wesleyan chapel, three national schools, a police station, and charities £22.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

England’s Gazetteer 1752

Tiddenham, (Gloc.) near Chepstow, is a p. 15 m. in com. bounded on 3 sides with the Wye and Severn. It was taken from the Welsh. in the R. of Hen. II. soon after which the Marshals Es. of Pembroke were made Lds. of it. It came in the R. of Edw. VI. to the Es. of Worcester, in whose family, now Ds. of Beaufort, it still remains, or did so lately. At the utmost point of the p. where the Wye and Severn divide, are still to be seen upon the rocks at low-water, the ruins of a chapel, which was dedicated to St. Tecla (corruptly called in the maps Treacle) the first female martyr; who suffered A.D. 47. Here were the seats of the late Mr. Maddocks and Mr. Alex. James.

Source: England’s Gazetteer; Stephen Whatley; 1752.

Sedbury

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Sedbury, a hamlet, in the parish of Tidenham, union of Chepstow, hundred of Westbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 173 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the Severn, and on the west by the river Wye, by which it is separated from Chepstow.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Stoat

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Stoat, a hamlet, in the parish of Tidenham, union of Chepstow, hundred of Westbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 176 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Chepstow
  • Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Forest
  • Poor Law Union: Chepstow
  • Hundred: Westbury (Gloucestershire)
  • Province: Canterbury