Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: Holy Rood
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1577
Parishes adjacent to Daglingworth
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Daglingworth, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; on Ermine-street, 3 miles NW of Cirencester town and r. station. It has a post-office under Cirencester. Acres, 1,884. Real property, £3,270. Pop., 355. Houses, 78. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Godstow nunnery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £266. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Norman, in excellent condition, with a square tower; and has an old stone crucifix over the chancel window. A weather-worn ancient cross is in the church-yard. Charities, £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The British Gazetteer 1852
Daglingworth, Gloucester, a parish in the hund. of Crowthorne and Minety, union of Cirencester: 98 miles from London (coach road 92), 3 from Cirencester, 9 from Stroud. Gt. West. Rail, through Swindon to Cirencester, thence 3 miles: from Derby, through Birmingham and Stonehouse to Cirencester, &c, 122 miles. Money orders issued at Cirencester: London letters delivd. 8 a.m. : post closes 9 p.m. The charities amount to about £6. 17s. per annum. The living (Holy Rood), a rectory, formerly in the archdy and diocese of Gloucester, now in the archdy of Bristol, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, is valued at £8. 6s. 3d. : pres. net income, £266 : patron, Lord Chancellor : pres. incumbent, H. C. R. Barker, 1841 : contains 1,700 acres: 55 houses: pop. in 1841, 302: probable pop. in 1849, 347: assd. propy. £1,312: poor rates in 1838, £103.
Source: The British Gazetteer, Political, Commercial, Ecclesiastical, and Historical: Showing the Distances of Each Place from London and Derby–gentlemen’s Seats–populations … &c. Illustrated by a Full Set of County Maps, with All the Railways Accurately Laid Down. Benjamin Clarke 1852; Published (for the proprietors) by H. G. Collins.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Daglinworth, 3 m. N.W. Cirencester. P. 302
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Daglingworth (Holy Rood), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (N. W.) from Cirencester; containing 302 inhabitants. This place was not a distinct parish at the time of the Conquest, but a waste in the manor of Stratton: the earliest mention of its present name occurs in a record of the thirteenth century. It comprises by computation 1811 acres, of which about 1157 acres are arable, 310 meadow land, and 342 wood; the soil is in general light, and there are quarries of stone for building. The living is a rectory, valued in thebking’s books at £8. 6. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £261, and the glebe comprises 64½ acres, to which there is a glebe-house. The church was built at the expense of the abbess and nuns of Godstow, in the county of Oxford, to whom the place was given in 1499. A school is supported by an annuity of £4. 10., arising from bequests of £100 by Jeremiah Hancock, in 1730, and £35 by Wm. Belitha, Esq. The Roman Ermin-street passes through the parish, and a tessellated pavement has been discovered.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Cirencester
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Crowthorne and Minety
- Province: Canterbury