Driffield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1561
Parishes adjacent to Driffield
Historical Descriptions of Driffield
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DRIFFIELD, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; adjacent to the Thames and Severn canal, 3½ miles SE by E of Cirencester r. station. Post town, Cirencester. Acres, 1,310. Real property, £1,661. Pop., 132. Houses, 34. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £270. Patron, the Rev. R. M. Ashe. The church is good; and a school has £12 from endowment.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Driffield, 2 miles S.E. Cirencester. P. 148
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Driffield Poll Book 1834
People named in the 1834 poll book for Driffield:
Vansittart Robert Driffield
See full text: Driffield Poll Book 1834 – Google Books
Driffield Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Driffield is a small parish in Cirencester union, containing, by the census of 1861, 132, and in 1871, 121 inhabitants, and 1237 acres; in the deanery of Cirencester, archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, East Gloucestershire; 4 miles north-east from Cirencester, and 5 south-west from Cricklade. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Maurice, M.A., is valued at £270 per annum, arising from 186 acres of glebe land, with residence, and is in the patronage of George Bengough, Esq. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, has been restored, the body at the sole expense of Henry Howell, Esq., and the chancel by the Rev. Thomas Maurice, M.A., the vicar. There is a school for children of both sexes, partly endowed, and the remainder provided by subscription. Edwin Gyde [sic], Esq., is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil. The rateable value of this parish is £1473.
Little Lewis Davis, Esq., Manor house
Trades and Professions
Blackwood John, shopkeeper
Bryant Samuel, farm bailiff to Edwin Glyde [sic], Esq., Foss farm
Hawkins Miss Elizabeth, mistress of Free School
Johnson Mrs. Sarah, shopkeeper
Kelby Joseph, parish clerk
Long William, farm bailiff to Rev. Thomas Maurice
Wakefield William, farm bailiff to Lewis Davis Little, Esq.
Letters from Cirencester arrive at 8 a.m. Wall letterbox cleared at 5. 30 p.m.
Free School – Miss Elizabeth Hawkins, mistress
Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Cirencester
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Crowthorne and Minety
- Province: Canterbury