Doynton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1566

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Doynton

  • Wick and Abson
  • Bitton
  • Dyrham
  • Pucklechurch
  • Cold Ashton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DOYNTON, a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; on the river Boyd, near the boundaries with Wilts and Somerset, 4 miles N of Twerton r. station, and 5 NNW of Bath. Post town, Bitton, under Bristol. Acres, 1,703. Real property, £4,007. Pop., 448. Houses, 85. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £433. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old, but good; shows no regard to style; and has a square tower. A chapel, in connexion with the Bristol Itinerant Society, was founded in 1861.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Doynton, a parish in Langley and Swinehead hundred, upper division, union of Chipping-Sodbury, county of Gloucester; 5½ miles south of Chipping-Sodbury, on a branch of the Avon. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Bristol and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £14 11s. 3d.; nett income £433. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £340 6s. Patron, tbe Lord-chancellor. Here is a day and Sunday school endowed with £14 per annum. Other charities, £8 5s. per annum. Acres 1,720. Houses 81. A.P. £3,670. Pop., in 1801, 303; in 1831, 448. Poor rates, in 1837, £191.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Doynton, 3 miles N.W. Marshfield. P. 529

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
  • Hundred: Langley and Swinehead
  • Province: Canterbury