Aveley Essex Family History Guide

St Michael, Aveley
St Michael, Aveley. Photograph by Poliphilo. This file is made available under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication.

Aveley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Parish church: St Michael

Parish registers begin: 1563

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Aveley

  • Wennington
  • Rainham
  • Dartford
  • North Ockendon
  • Upminster
  • West Thurrock
  • South Ockendon
  • Crayford
  • Stifford

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

AVELEY, a village and a parish in Orsett district, Essex. The village stands adjacent to the Purfleet station of the Tilbury railway, near the Thames, 7 miles SE of Romford. It has a post office under Romford, and a fair on Easter-Monday; and was formerly a market town. The parish comprises 2,934 acres of land, and 105 of water. Real property, £5,944. Pop., 930. Houses, 195. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £266. Patron, the Bishop. The church is very old. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aveley, 3 m. N.W. Grays-Thurrock, P. 849

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Videos

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Orsett
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Chafford, Post-1844 – Orsett
  • Poor Law Union: Orsett
  • Hundred: Chafford
  • Province: Canterbury