Aldham Essex Family History Guide

St. Margaret's church, Aldham, Essex
St. Margaret’s church, Aldham, Essex. This church was built in 1855 by Hakewill, using materials from the old church. The only surviving medieval piece is the timbers of the porch. The church stands in a nice position at the heart of the village. Attribution: Robert Edwards / St. Margaret’s church, Aldham, Essex / CC BY-SA 2.0

Aldham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Margaret

Parish registers begin: 1558

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Parishes adjacent to Aldham, Essex

  • Great Tey
  • Marks Tey
  • West Bergholt
  • Little Tey
  • Copford
  • Chappel
  • Fordham

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ALDHAM, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; near Colne river, 2 miles N of Marks Tey r. station, and 5 ENE of Coggleshall. Post Town, Marks Tey under Colchester. Acres, 1,825. Real property, £2,558. Pop., 406. Houses, 94. The manor belonged to the De Veres. The property is subdivided. The place is a meet for the East Essex hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £327. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is very good. Charities, £32. Morant the historian was rector of Aldham.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aldham, 2 m. N.E. Coggeshall. P. 382.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Lexden
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Post-1845 – Rochester, Pre-1846 – London
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Lexden, Post-1846 – Halstead
  • Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
  • Hundred: Lexden
  • Province: Canterbury