Abbess Roding Essex Family History Guide
Abbess Roding is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Roothing Barwick and Barwick Hall.
Alternative names: Abbotts Roothing, Abbots Roding,, Abbots Roothing, Abbess Rooding, Abbotts Rooding, Abbots Rooding, Abbess
Parish church: St Edmmund
Parish registers begin: 1560
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Abbess Roding
- White Roding
- Beauchamp Roding
- Leaden Roding
- Little Laver
- Margaret Roding
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROOTHING-ABBOTS, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; on the river Roding, 6 miles N by E of Ongar r.station. It contains the hamlet of Roothing-Barwick; and its post town is Ongar. Acres, 1,602. Real property, £2,366. Pop., 220. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to Barking abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £323. Patron, Capel Cure, Esq. The church is good, and has a spire. There are an Independent chapel and a parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Ongar
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Ongar
- Poor Law Union: Ongar
- Hundred: Dunmow; Ongar
- Province: Canterbury