Abbess Roding Essex Family History Guide



St Edmmund's parish church, Abbess Roding, Essex
St Edmmund’s parish church, Abbess Roding, Essex, seen from the southeast. The copyright on this image is owned by mym and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Abbess Roding is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Other places in the parish include: Roothing Barwick and Barwick Hall.

Alternative names: Abbotts Roothing, Abbots Roding,, Abbots Roothing, Abbess Rooding, Abbotts Rooding, Abbots Rooding, Abbess

Parish church: St Edmmund

Parish registers begin: 1560

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Parishes adjacent to Abbess Roding

  • White Roding
  • Beauchamp Roding
  • Leaden Roding
  • Matching
  • Little Laver
  • Margaret Roding
  • Fyfield

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ROOTHING-ABBOTS, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; on the river Roding, 6 miles N by E of Ongar r.station. It contains the hamlet of Roothing-Barwick; and its post town is Ongar. Acres, 1,602. Real property, £2,366. Pop., 220. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to Barking abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £323. Patron, Capel Cure, Esq. The church is good, and has a spire. There are an Independent chapel and a parochial school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Ongar
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Ongar
  • Poor Law Union: Ongar
  • Hundred: Dunmow; Ongar
  • Province: Canterbury