Greystoke, Cumberland Family History Guide



Greystoke is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.

The parish contains also the townships of Little Blencow, Johnby, Motherby and Gill, Hutton Soil, Hutton John, Mungrisdale, Bowscale, Hutton Roof, and Berrier and Murrah, and the chapelries of Watermillock, Matterdale, and Threlkeld.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1559

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic, United Presbyterian Church of Scotland, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Greystoke

  • Mungrisdale
  • Matterdale
  • Skelton
  • Caldbeck
  • Watermillock
  • Dacre
  • Castle Sowerby

Historical Descriptions

Greystoke

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

GREYSTOKE, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Penrith district, Cumberland. The village stands near the Blencow station of the Penrith and Cockermouth railway, 5 miles W by N of Penrith; was once a market town; and has a post office under Penrith. The township includes the village, and comprises 4,538 acres. Real property, £2,957. Pop., 327. Houses, 77. The parish contains also the townships of Little Blencow, Johnby, Motherby and Gill, Hutton Soil, Hutton John, Mungrisdale, Bowscale, Hutton Roof, and Berrier and Murrah, and the chapelries of Watermillock, Matterdale, and Threlkeld. Acres, 48,960; of which 1,020 are water. Real property, £20,581. Pop. in 1851, 3,056; in 1861, 2,885. Houses, 562. The surface extends southward to Ulleswater, and westward to the Skiddaw minntains; has much diversity of contour; and includes many picturesque spots of the Lake country. The property, in most parts, is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the late Duke of Norfolk, and passed to Henry Howard, Esq. An ancient castle, within Greystoke park, adjacent to the NW side of the village, was built in 1353, by the Greystoke family; passed first to the Dacres, next to the Dukes of Norfolk; was garrisined for Charles I. in 1648, and captured and dismantled by a parliamentarian force; and is now represented by only some ruined towers. A mansion in lieu of it, and called Greystoke Castle, was built about the middle of the 17th century; stands on an eminence breaking abruptly down, on one side, to a headstream of the river Petterill; was originally more spacious than elegant, but has undergone great, recent, ornamental improvement; commands, from its windows, fine views of the Lake mountains; and contains many interesting pictures and objects of curiosity. The grounds connected with it comprise abut 5,000 acres; are tastefully disposed; and include a well stocked deer park. Coal, slate, and lime abound; and there is a lead mine, with silver. A Roman camp is at Redstone; and a Druidical circle is at Motherby. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, not reported. Patron, H. W. Askew, Esq. The church is ancient and cruciform; has a tower and a fine E window; and was formerly collegiate. The chapelries of Matterdale, Mungrisdale, Threlkeld, and Watermillock are separate benefices. Charities, £90. The sub-district includes also three other parishes, and parts of two others. Acres, 67,536. Pop., 4,975. Houses, 993.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Murrah

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

MURRAH, a hamlet in Greystoke parish, Cumberland; 1 mile NE of Mungrisdale.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Penrith
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Allerdale
  • Poor Law Union: Penrith
  • Hundred: Leath Ward
  • Province: York