Bridekirk is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.

Other places in the parish include: Dovenby, Goat, Great Broughton, Little Broughton, Papcastle, Ribton, and Tallentire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1584

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Bridekirk

  • Cockermouth
  • Camerton
  • Isel
  • Flimby
  • Brigham
  • Gilcrux
  • Dearham
  • Clifton

Historical Descriptions

Bridekirk

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRIDEKIRK, a township and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The township lies near the river Derwent and the Cockermouth railway, 2 miles NNW of Cockermouth. Acres, 916. Real property, £1,608. Pop., 125. Houses, 26. The parish contains also the townships of Papcastle, Little Broughton, Great Broughton, Ribton, Dovenby, and Tallentire; and its Post Town is Cockermouth. Acres, 9,270. Real property, £19,983. Pop., 2,876. Houses, 608. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to Gisburn Abbey; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Tolsons. Bridekirk-Hall is the seat of the Dykes family. Freestone and limestone are quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £240. Patron, F. L. B. Dykes, Esq. The church is ancient and good; has a Norman doorway; and contains a curious, carved square font, about 2 feet high, supposed to have been Roman. Great Broughton chapelry, now a vicarage, was made a separate charge in 1863. Charities, £122. Sir Joseph Williamson, secretary of state to Charles II., and Thomas Tickell, the poet, were natives.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Great Broughton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BROUGHTON (Great), a township and a chapelry in Bridekirk parish, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Derwent, adjacent to the Cockermouth and Workington railway at Broughton-Cross station, 3 miles W of Cockermouth. It has a post office under Carlisle. Acres, inclusive of Little Broughton, 2,743. Real property, £5,773; of which £2,322 are in mines. Pop., 836. Houses, 180. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; includes Little Broughton; and was very recently constituted. Pop., 1,498. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Bridekirk. The church is new. There are chapels for Baptists, Quakers, and Wesleyans. A school and alms-houses have £30 from endowment.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Tallentire

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Tallentire, a township, in the parish of Bridekirk, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 3 ¾ miles (N. by W.) from Cockermouth; containing 246 inhabitants. Limestone is quarried and burned in the vicinity. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £104, and the vicarial for £23.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Cockermouth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Allerdale
  • Poor Law Union: Cockermouth
  • Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent Ward
  • Province: York