Hyssington, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Family History Guide



Hyssington is an Ancient Parish mostly in Montgomeryshire.

Alternative names: Hissington

Other places in the parish include: Mucklewick.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1701

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Boundary Changes:

24 Mar 1884 was reduced to enlarge Shelve Ancient Parish

01 Apr 1933 was abolished to enlarge Church Stoke Ancient Parish

Parishes adjacent to Hyssington

  • Wentnor
  • Shelve
  • More
  • Churchstoke
  • Snead

Historical Descriptions

Hyssington

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HYSSINGTON, a township in Montgomeryshire, and a parish partly also in Salop, but all in the district of Clun. The township lies contiguous to Salop, 3½ miles N by W of Bishops-Castle r. station, and 6 ESE of Montgomery. Acres, 1,832. Real property, £1,609. Pop., 284. Houses, 58. The parish includes, within Salop, the township of Mucklewick; and comprises 2,382 acres. Post town, Bishops-Castle, Shropshire. Pop., 341. Houses, 70. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Snead, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £248. Patron, the Rev. R. E. Owen. The church stands within the precincts of a ruined castle, and is pretty good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hissington. A parish partly in the hundred of Purslow, and partly in Montgomery hundred, in the county of Montgomery. The Church is in Montgomeryshire. The Shropshire part of Hissington, the township of Mucklewick, contains 53 inhabitants. 6 miles south-east of Montgomery. 3 ½ miles north-west by north of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Mucklewick

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Mucklewick, a township in Hyssington parish, Salop; near Stiper Stones, 5½ miles N of Bishops-Castle. Acres, 550. Pop., 57. Houses, 12.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Mucklewick, co. Salop.

P. T. Montgomery (163) 3 m. Pop. 53.

A township in the parish of Hyssington and hundred of Cherbury.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Mucklewick. A township in the parish of Hissington, and in the lower division of the hundred of Chirbury. 12 houses, 53 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Mucklewick, Poll Book 1865

Administration

  • County: Shropshire & Montgomeryshire
  • Civil Registration District: Clun
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Clun
  • Hundred: Chirbury
  • Province: Canterbury