Last Updated on

Hodnet is a large parish and village, situate on the main road from Shrewsbury to Market Drayton, in the diocese of Lichfield, archdeaconry of Salop, rural deanery of Hodnet, and hundred of Bradford North. It lies thirteen miles North-East from Shrewsbury, and six from Market Drayton. It comprises the townships of Hodnet, Wollerton, Marchamley, Weston-under-Red Castle, Peplow, Hawkstone, Kenstone, Lostford, Little Bolas, and Hopton and Espley. Its area is 11,595 acres, and the population in 1901 was 1,509 in the civil parish and 1,731 in the ecclesiastical parish. The village of Hodnet is remarkably picturesque, and it contains some interesting black and white houses.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1656

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Hodnet

Historical Descriptions

Hodnet

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Hodnet, a parish in Drayton division, North Bradford hund., union of Market-Drayton, county of Salop; 5½ miles south-west of Market-Drayton, on the river Tern. It includes the chapelry of Weston and Wexhill-under-Red-castle. Living, a rectory with the curacy of Weston, in the archd. of Salop, and dio. of Lichfield; rated at £26 0s. 10d.; gross income £2,336; nett income £1,884. Patrons, in 1835, the executors of Richard Heber, Esq. Here are 2 daily and 4 day and Sunday schools. An old school in the churchyard was pulled down in 1814, and a new school and school-house erected, in the following year, in a more convenient situation, chiefly at the expense of Richard Heber, Esq. This school is endowed with £8 per annum, the interest of £200 bequeathed by Mrs. Sarah Price for the support of a free school. The master pays £1 1s. annually to the churchwardens as the interest of £25, given by Sir A. Corbet to the poor, but expended in building the school. Other charities, in 1830, £117 8s. 6d. per annum, principally arising from numerous gifts presented by the Hill family to the poor of Hodnet. Poor rates, in 1838, £998 16s. Fairs, though unimportant ones, are held here on 15th May and 20th October. Acres 13,920. Houses 377. A. P. £17,651. Pop., in 1801, 1,386; in 1831, 2,097.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hodnet. A parish in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. A rectory in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 360 houses, 2,117 inhabitants. 6 miles east of Wem. See appendix. Hodnet is the seat of Richard Heber, Esq., M. P. for Oxford, whose brother, the present bishop of Calcutta, was long the rector of this parish.

A man whom but to name is to give him the highest praise; not more conspicuous for his elevated rank in the church, than for his virtue and piety, his erudition and his refinement, – and now placed in a situation, which, connected with his talents and his disposition, justifies the brightest hopes of the friends of religion and of human nature. His lordship even in very early life gave to the world a specimen of his exquisite still in the Greek language, and of his cultivated taste, in his translation of some of the odes of Pindar.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hawkstone

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hawkstone. A township in the parish of Hodnet, and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 4 miles north-east of Wem.

The seat of Sir Rowland Hill, Bart. The mansion, long the residence of the ancient family of the Hills, is situated on the north side of a hill, a little out of the road from Shrewsbury to Whitchurch.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hopton and Espley

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hopton and Espley. A township in the parish of Hodnet, and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 6 miles south-east of Wem.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Kenston

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Kenston. A township in the parish of Hodnet, and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 6 miles east of Wem.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Marchamley

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Marchamley. A township in the parish of Hodnet, and in the Dayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 6 miles east of Wem.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Lossford

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Lossford. A township in the parish of Hodnet, and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Little Bolas

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Little Bolas. A township in the parish of Hodnet, and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 6½ miles north-west of Newport.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Longford

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Longford. A township in the parish of Hodnet, and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 2 miles west of Drayton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Peplow

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Peplow. A township in the parish of Hodnet, and in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 7 ½ miles northwest of Newport. The seat of Joseph Clegg, Esq.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Registers

Hodnet Parish Registers 1540-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. XI (1911)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Hodnet Parish Registers 1540-1812 – Archive.org

Directories

Hodnet Aubrey Shropshire Directory 1925

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Market Drayton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Market Drayton
  • Poor Law Union: Market Drayton
  • Hundred: North Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury