Last Updated on

Ercall Magna or High Ercall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

The parish includes also the townships of Cold Hatton, Cotwall and Moortown, Crudgington, Ellerdine, Haughton, Isombridge, Osbaston, Poynton, Roden, Rowton, Sleap, and Tern and Walton

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1585

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to High Ercall

Historical Descriptions

Ercall Magna or High Ercall

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ERCALL-MAGNA, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Wellington district, Salop. The village stands near the river Roden and the Shrewsbury canal, 2½ miles WSW of Crudgington r. station, and 5½ NW of Wellington; is called High Ercall; has a post office, of that name, under Wellington, Salop; and was once a market town. The parish includes also the townships of Cold Hatton, Cotwall and Moortown, Crudgington, Ellerdine, Haughton, Isombridge, Osbaston, Poynton, Roden, Rowton, Sleap, and Tern and Walton. Acres, 10,593. Real property, £15,763. Pop., 1,969. Houses, 381. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged anciently to the Ercalaws, and had an eel-fishery at Domesday. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £526. Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church was reported in 1859 to need repair; and a new church, in the early English style, was built in 1864. A grammar school has £100 from endowment; an hospital, £65; and other charities, £31. The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 17,370. Pop., 3,230. Houses, 658.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ercall Magna or High Ercall. A parish in the Wellington division of the Hundred of Bradford South, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 341 houses, 1,952 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Cold Hatton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Cold Hatton. A township in the parish of High Ercall, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 8 miles west of Newport.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Cotwall

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Cotwall. A township in the parish of High Ercall, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 9 miles north-east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Crudgington

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Crudgington. A township in the parish of High Ercall, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 10 ½ miles north-east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Ellerdine

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ellerdine. A township in the pariahs of Ercall Magna, or High Ercall, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 9 miles south-east of Wem.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Haughton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Haughton. A township partly in the parish of High Ercall, and partly in the parish of Upton Magna, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 4 ½ miles north-east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Isom Bridge

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Isom Bridge. A township in the parish of Ercall Magna, or High Ercall, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 7 ½ miles north-east by east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Roden or Rodenhurst

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Roden; or Rodenhurst. A township in the parish of Ercall Magna, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 6 miles north-east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Rowton

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Rowton. A township in the parish of Ercall Magna, or High Ercall, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South, a chapel, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 9 miles north-east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Registers

High Ercall Marriages 1837

High Ercall Marriages 1834 to 1836

High Ercall Marriages 1832 and 1833

High Ercall Baptisms and Burials 1812

High Ercall Baptisms and Burials 1811

High Ercall Baptisms and Burials 1809 and 1810

High Ercall Baptisms and Burials 1809

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Wellington (Shropshire)
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Wellington
  • Poor Law Union: Wellington
  • Hundred: South Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury

Photographs

Videos