Grinshill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Alternative names: Grimshill
Parish registers begin: 1592
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion
Parishes adjacent to Grinshill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GRINSHILL, a parish in Wem district, Salop; near the Yorton station of the Crewe and Shrewsbury railway, 4 miles S of Wem. It has a post office under Shrewsbury. Acres, 827. Rated property, £1,730. Pop., 317. house, 61. The property is divided among a few. Building stone is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £106 Patron, the Rev. John Wood. The church was enlarged in 1840, and is good. Charities, £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Grinshill; or Grinsell. A parish in the liberties of Shrewsbury, a rectory or donative, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 40 houses, 214 inhabitants. 7 miles north of Shrewsbury.
From Hawkstone, southwards, to Lea and Grinshill hills, extends a line of siliceous free stone, chiefly of the red kind, except at Grinshill, where there is a considerable quantity of white, of which great use has been made in the bridges, churches, and other modern edifices of Shrewsbury
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Grinshill Parish Registers 1592-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. II (1901)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; W. P. W. Phillimore
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Grinshill Parish Registers 1592-1812 – Archive.org
Family History Links
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Wem
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Wem
- Poor Law Union: Wem
- Hundred: Albrighton Division
- Province: Canterbury