Great Wollaston, Shropshire Family History Guide
Great Wollaston is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1733 from chapelry in Alberbury Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Woolaston, Wollaston.
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1829
Parishes adjacent to Great Wollaston
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WOLLASTON, a chapelry in Alberbury parish, Salop; near Middletown r. station, and 10¾ miles W of Shrewsbury. Post town, Alberbury, under Shrewsbury. Real property, £2,482. Pop., 367. Houses, 73. The property is subdivided. There are quarries and lead mines. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £95. Patron, the Vicar of Alberbury. The church is tolerable.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Great Wollaston; or Woolaston. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford, a chapel to Alberbury, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Pontesbury, and archdeaconry of Salop. 11 miles west of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Atcham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
- Poor Law Union: Atcham
- Hundred: Ford
- Province: Canterbury