Last Updated on
Caynham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Alternative names: Cainham
Other places in the parish include: Bennett’s End.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Caynham
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Cainham, a parish in the hundred of Stottesden, county of Salop, 3½ miles (E.S.E.) from Ludlow, containing 936 inhabitants. The living is a discharged Vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king’s books at £4. 13. 4. J. Mainwaring, Esq. was patron in 1818. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Cainham; or Caynham. A parish in the Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop. 194 houses, 936 inhabitants. 2 ½ miles south-east by east of Ludlow.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
The Register of Clee Hill (Parish of Caynham) Wesleyan Chapel 1796-1829
Shropshire parish registers : Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers (1903)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Evans, George Eyre; Fletcher, W. G. D. (William George Dimock), 1851-1935; Kinsella, William
Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Ludlow
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Ludlow
- Poor Law Union: Ludlow
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury