Buildwas, Shropshire Family History Guide
Buildwas is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish registers begin: 1665
Parishes adjacent to Buildwas
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BUILDWAS, a parish in Madeley district, Salop; on the river Severn, and on the Severn Valley railway, at the junction of the branch to Much-Wenlock, 3½ miles SE of the Wrekin, and 4 NE of Much-Wenlock. It has a station on the railway, at the junction; and its Post Town is Iron-Bridge, under Wellington, Salop Acres, 2,128. Real property, £2,079. Pop., 276. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. Buildwas Park is the seat of W. Moseley, Esq. A Cistertian Abbey was founded in the parish, in 1135, by Roger, bishop of Chester; and given, at the dissolution, to Lord Powis. The side aisles and the chapels of the Abbey church have perished; but the nave, the transept, the tower-arches, and the chapter house mostly remain, are transition Norman, and form a noble ruin. The living is a donative in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £20. Patron, W. Moseley, Esq. The church was built in 1720.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Buildwas, co. Salop.
P. T. Much Wenlock (148) 4 m. NE b N. Pop. 240.
A parish in the Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford; living, a curacy in the archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, not in charge; church ded. to the Holy Trinity; patron (1829) W. Moseley, Esq. Here is an elegant iron bridge erected across the Severn by the Colebrook Dale Company in lieu of a very ancient one carried away by a flood in 1795. The span of the arch is 130 feet, and the rise 24 feet. On the south bank of the Severn in a rich pastoral valley, backed by woody banks, are the remains of an abbey of Cistercians, founded by Roger, Bishop of Chester, in 1135. The walls of the abbey church remain entire, and the view of this venerable church from the west end is very striking, and contrasted with the gay verdure around it forms a picture of fallen monastic greatness rarely to be surpassed.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Buildwas, Magna, and Parva. One township. A parish in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South, a curacy in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 52 houses, 240 inhabitants. 3 miles north-east by north of Much Wenlock.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
Buildwas Parish Registers 1665-1812, Marriages to 1837
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. XIV (1921)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Madeley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Wellington
- Poor Law Union: Madeley
- Hundred: South Bradford
- Province: Canterbury