Powick Billings Worcestershire Directory 1855



Powick is a very pleasant village, situated about 3 miles from Worcester, on the road to Malvern. Its historical associations are not altogether devoid of interest, it having been the scene of an encounter between the Parliamentarian troops and the Royalists, in 1642; and in 1651 occurred the battle of Powick Bridge, a portion of which erection is still standing. General Fleetwood having crossed the Teme with the right wing of the brigade, and the left having arrived at the bridge, a very severe contest took place, which lasted nearly two hours, the Royalists being eventually driven back, and pursued to the gate of the city, with great loss. In 1832 two sepulchral Roman urns were dug up, from a piece of land between Upton and Malvern: and in the following year, a little to the west of the village, two similar ones were found, containing the bones of children. Several ancient coins have also been found in the neighbourhood. According to the last census, Powick contained 1834 inhabitants.

The County And City Lunatic Asylum possesses an estate of about forty-six acres of land, and is situate midway between Worcester and Malvern, and in the immediate neighbourhood of the village of Powick. It commands a beautiful and extensive view towards the Malvern hills, having a southern aspect. The asylum was erected for the accommodation of 200 inmates, and alterations have been made for its extension. In connection with the asylum are workshops for all ordinary trades, gas works, a farm and trading buildings, brewhouse, bakehouse, and chapel, lately erected. The staff of resident officers and servants numbers thirty-one. Under the committee of visiting Justices, the management of the asylum and the treatment of patients are carried on by a resident physician, assisted by properly qualified persons in each department. The patients are allowed every liberty compatible with their safety, and are treated on the non-restraint system. It is under the management of a committee of visitors. James Sherlock, Esq., M.D., Medical Superintendent; Rev. Edward Horton, Chaplain; Martin Curtler, Esq., Clerk to the Committee; Mr. J. C. Hume, Clerk and House Steward; Miss Giddings, Matron.

The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is large and capacious, and is of a cruciform shape, containing nave, chancel, north and south aisles and transepts, with western tower, divided into three stages. At the corners are small diagonal buttresses. A glazed screen, well carved, divides the chancel from the nave; another cuts off the south transept, and a third the north. The east window is in the early English style, consisting of three lancet lights. The other windows are apparently of later date. In the north transept is a very handsome octagonal stone font. There are several monuments and tablets to different families who have been interred here. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of the Trustees of Lord Coventry. Rev. John Henry Turbitt, M.A., Vicar; Mr. Samuel Lawrence, Clerk; Miss Thomasine Taylor, Organist. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

The National School, for the education of children of the parish, is supported by voluntary contributions and the children’s payments. It is a mixed school, and has one pupil teacher, being under Government inspection. Miss Jane Knott, Mistress. Average number of children, 80.

There is also a National School at Bastonford in this parish, erected in 1851, by the Earl of Beauchamp, and supported by that gentleman, Colonel Scott, and the lady of Henry Lakin, Esq. Miss E. Winwood, Mistress. Average number of children, 70.

There is a convent at Stanbrook in this parish, which belongs to the order of Benedictines, containing from twenty to thirty residents. The community removed to their present establishment about ten or twelve years ago, from Salford in Warwickshire, where they were supposed to have been resident for ages. Stanbrook, with its hall and grounds, were purchased by the community, being considered a desirable locality. The house has undergone considerable enlargement and alteration, for the accommodation of the inmates. Rev. Joseph Short, Roman Catholic Priest.

DIRECTORY

Aplin Mrs. Miriam, Swiss Cottage

Cooke Mr. James, Sandpits House

France Edward Howells, Esq., Ham Hill

Greenep Mrs. Mary, Bastonford

Harrison Mr. George, Bowling Green Cottage

Lechmere The Misses, Powick House

Morgan Rev. Edmund John, M.A.

Moore William, Esq., Elm Bank

Morton Mrs. Elizabeth Maria, Kent’s Green

Rush Alfred, Esq., King’s End House

Salisbury S. Priestley, Esq., The Hermitage

Sherlock Dr. James, Asylum

Short Rev. Joseph, Roman Catholic Priest, Moat House

Taylor Mr. John, Oldfields

Turbitt Rev. John Henry, M.A., Vicar, Vicarage

Watt Rev. William Ellis, M.A., Wheatfields

Wedgeberrow Mr. Thomas

Williams Henry Thomas, Moor House

Banks James, tailor

Baylis Henry, coal dealer, Pole Elm

Baylis John, market gardener

Bennett James, shoe maker, Bowling Green

Biggs Francis, farm bailiff to the Convent

Brown Aaron, beer retailer, farmer, and coal dealer, Crown

Bullock Edward, builder

Burgess William, shopkeeper and baker

Carloss Edwin, shoe maker

Caswell William, shoe maker

Caswell James, carpenter and shopkeeper, Pole Elm

Cobley Walter, coach proprietor and farmer, Cleveload; also of Faulkners

Collins James, gardener to Mrs. E. M. Morton, Bush Cottage

Copson James, victualler and shopkeeper, Blue Bell, Pole Elm

Crump Charles, coal dealer

Dancocks James, Registrar of Births and Deaths, and Relieving Officer for Great Malvern District, Pole Elm

Dawding H., victualler, Halfway House

Edwards John, farmer, Sandpits

Finch Henry, victualler and tailor, Coventry Arms

Finch Joseph, boot and shoe maker

Finch Mary, shopkeeper and cider retailer

Foster William, victualler, Red Lion

Green Edward, wine merchant, &c., The Rectory

Grizzell Edward, blacksmith, Pole Elm

Grizzell Thomas, blacksmith

Grundy Joseph M., farmer, The View; also of Bosworth Farm

Grundy George, butcher, Callow End

Hall George, farmer, Vineyard

Harris Elizabeth, farmer, Bransford Court

Hawkes Samuel, butler to Mrs. E. M. Morton, Kent’s Green

Haynes and Deering The Misses, Ladies’ boarding establishment, Powick Court

Heach Thomas, farmer, Beauchamp Court

Hebbern Joseph, beer retailer, and farm bailiff to Mr. W. Cobley, Old Bush

Hehir John, baker and grocer, Bowling Green Villa

Herbert Edmund, farmer, Powick Farm

Herbert John, farmer, Upper and Lower Broadfield; also of Ridgeway

Herbert Henry, farmer, Flax House

Hitchings Mary, poulterer

Hughes John Bayliss, farmer, Collett’s Green

Hyde Peter, victualler, Pixam Ferry

Hyde Ann, beer retailer, Three Nuns

Hyde Thomas, blacksmith

Jones William, shoe maker

Jones William, shoe maker, Pole Elm

King Samuel, gamekeeper to Earl Beauchamp

Knott Joseph, shoe maker

Lane Philip, wheelwright and carpenter

Lane Sarah, day school

Lawrence Samuel, Parish Clerk and Collector of Taxes

Leech Anne, farmer, White House; also of Nixons

Morris William Lewis, farmer, Five Pear Trees; also of Wheatfield, Pole Elm, and Lower Cleveload

Nicholls Susannah, farmer, King’s End Cottage

Othen William, painter and glazier, and shopkeeper

Passmore Peter, Head Keeper at Asylum

Penkivil R. S., surgeon, Holly Cottage

Perkins Harriet, milliner and dress maker

Powell John, mason

Preece Samuel, tailor, Pole Elm

Pullen William, farmer and butcher, Pool House; also of the Bowling Green, and Newland Lodge

Rea Edward, farmer, Bush, Callow End

Reynolds Mary, shopkeeper

Sprague James, wheelwright and carpenter

Stallard John, farmer, Newpool

Stallard John, farmer, Stockend

Stallard Richard, farmer, Woodsfield

Steel Samuel, beer retailer and shopkeeper, Compasses, Callow End

Stephens Samuel, cooper, farmer, and shopkeeper

Taylor Thomasine, professor of music and organist of Powick Church, Oldfields

Taylor Frances, boarding and day school, Oldfields

Turner James, farmer and butcher

Turner Benjamin, Police Officer, Station

Twinberrow Fletcher, veterinary surgeon, King’s End Cottage

Wargent William, farmer, Stanbrook Cottage

Wargent George, carpenter and builder, Callow End

Williams William, mason and builder

Williams Elizabeth, shopkeeper

Williams John, shoe maker, Pole Elm

Willis William, blacksmith and shopkeeper

Winders, blacksmith, Callow End

Wood John, shoe maker

Woodward John, farmer, Pixham

Woodyatt James, farmer, Woodsfield

Post Office – Mrs. Elizabeth Williams, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 6 a.m.; despatch, 7 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855