Great Malvern Worcestershire Family History Guide
Great Malvern is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Alternative names: Malvern
Other places in the parish include: Barnards Green.
Guarlford, formerly a chapelry to Great Malvern, is an ecclesiastical parish formed out of the parishes of Madresfield and Great Malvern in 1866.
Parish Church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1556
Nonconformists in Great Malvern include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Great Malvern
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MALVERN (GREAT), a town and a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester. The town stands on an eastern slope of the Malvern hills, at the junction of the Worcester and Hereford railway with the Tewkesbury and Malvern railway, 1½ mile NNE of the boundary with Herefordshire, and 8½ SW by S of Worcester. It was, till recently, a mere village; yet it dates from considerably ancient times. A hermitage, or house of seculars, was founded at it in the time of Edward the Confessor; and was converted by Alwin, with the aid of Bishop a Wulstan of Worcester, into a Benedictine priory. The priory became subject, in the time of Henry I., to the jurisdiction of Westminster; had a cell at Avercole, notable for a tragic occurrence in the time of the crusades; figured, for a long period, as a place of much ecclesiastical grandeur and influence; and, at the dissolution of monasteries, was purchased by the inhabitants to be used as a parish church. A song composed in the time of James I., says, –
Great Malvern, on a rock, thou dwellest surely,
Do not thyself forget, living securely;
Thou hast a famous church, and rarely builded
No country town hath such, most men have yielded,
For pillars stout and strong, and windows large and long;
Remember, in thy song, to praise the Lord.
The ancient town, or village, is irregular, and consists chiefly of scattered houses. The modern town is well built; contains numerous terrace lines of good houses; makes an imposing display of hotels, boarding-houses, and public buildings; and has, in its centre, spacious promenade gardens. Its environs are highly picturesque; its climate, though subject to piercing east winds in spring and to great midday heat in summer, is highly salubrious; and its bathing and medicinal waters, aided by hydropathic establishments, have acquired eminent repute. The town owes its modern growth mainly to the resort of invalids, who appreciate excellent appliances for health, without caring much for accompaniments of gaiety and amusement; and it promises to acquire further and rapid growth, both from increasing force of the same cause, and as a place of education. The railway station is a handsome structure, and was opened in 1859. A very large hotel stands adjacent to the station; was erected in 1862 by a public company, at a cost of more than £25,000; presents a highly ornate appearance, similar to that of the Great Western hotel at Paddington; and has very high roofs. Other hotels and boarding-houses are as numerous as in many a city. A club-house, in the Palladian-Italian style, with adjoining masonic hall, was projected in 1869. The proprietary college stands on a beautiful spot commanding an extensive view of the valley of the Severn; was built in 1865, after designs by F. Hansom; is in the decorated English style, on a ground plan in the form of an E; measures 210 feel along the W front; has there a central turretted tower 100 feet high, a two-storied centre extending from the tower, the ends of two wings in the form of two church-like gables with seven-light windows, and a detached ornate chapel with slender spire; comprises a classic school and a modern school, in two large wing-buildings, whose W ends form the gables of the W front; includes an open quadrangle in the rear, between these two buildings; has two principal schoolrooms, each 97 feet long, 35 feet wide, and 57 feet high, affords accommodation for 600 boys; and conducts its course of instruction on the system of the great public schools. There are a national school, an endowed school, an industrial school, a public library, and a workingmen s literary institute. The public library is kept in a building of the Doric style. A suitable edifice for the literary institute was proposed, in 1866, to be erected at a cost of about £750. The parish church, or church of the quondam priory, is partly early Norman, chiefly later English; comprises nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with central embattled tower 124 feet high; measures 177 feet in length, 63 feet in width, and 63 feet in height; had formerly a Lady chapel, 50 feet in length; underwent restoration in 1860-4, at a cost of about £12,420; has a fine memorial window to the late Prince Consort, put up in 1862; and contains stalls, sedilia, four interesting ancient monuments, a beautiful recent monument to Mrs. S. Thompson, and the graves of Bishop Bathurst of Norwich and Bishop Jenkinson of St. David’s. The gateway of the ancient priory still stands, and is a beautiful specimen of later English. St. Mary’s church, at Barnards-Green, was erected in 1844, at a cost of about £2,000. Trinity church is at North Malvern. There are chapels for Independents, Lady Huntingdon’s Connexion, Quakers, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics, in the town; and a chapel for Independents, at Malvern-Chase. The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1866, at a cost of £3,000; is in the early decorated English style; comprises nave, transept, and apse, with a pinnacled tower 104 feet high; contains about 500 sittings; and stands over cryptic schoolrooms, capable of accommodating 500 children. The Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1863; is in the pointed style; consists of a nave of 80 feet by 30, with three side chapels; and was designed to be extended, at some conVenient period, by the addition of chancel. The public. cemetery occupies a space of about 3 acres, and was opened in 1861. A suite of alms houses, in result of a munificent bequest of £60,000 by the Earl of Beauchamp, was founded in Oct. 1862. Other endowed charities connected with the town amount yearly to about £20. The town has a head post office, a telegraph-station, and two banking offices; is a seat of petty sessions; and publishes two weekly newspapers. Pop. in 1861, 4,484. Houses, .709.
The waters of Malvern, which so greatly attract invalids, are remarkably limpid, and owe their reputed virtues probably quite as much to extreme purity as to any positive medicinal qualities; and they are used for bathing as well as for drinking, and prove eminently suitable to the hydropathic establishments. Two springs are mainly in request; the one called St. Anne’s, in the E part of the town, near the parish church; the other called Holywell, about 2 miles to the S. The water of St. Anne’s contains, per gallon, 3.45 grains of carbonate of soda, 1.48 of sulphate of soda, .955 of muriate of soda, .352 of carbonate of lime, .328 of carbonate of iron, and .47 of residum; and that of the Holywell contains 5.33 of carbonate of soda, 2.896 of sulphate of soda, 1.553 of muriate of soda, 16 of carbonate of lime, .625 of carbonate of iron, and 1687 of residuum. St. Anne’s well is very picturesquely situated; and every desirable accommodation exists for drinking the waters, and for hot and cold bathing. A weekly lecture on water, health, and kindred topics is delivered in an apartment, used as a reading-room, in Townsend House; an annual temperance fête is held in the beautiful grounds connected with that edifice; and an annual ball, and a few indoor recreations, are the only other local amusements. But very ample and very inspiriting means exist for pedestrian rambles, mounted or carriage excursions, picnic parties, angling, botanizing, and geological exploration. The parish contains also the hamlet of Barnards-Green and the chapelry of Newland. Acres, 5,021. Real property, exclusive of Newland, £35,142; of which £20 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3,771; in 1861, 6,054. Houses, 992. Real property, inclusive of Newland, £36,854. Pop. in 1851, 3,911; in 1861, 6,245. Houses, 1,026. The property, in all parts, is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Lady Emily Foley. Malvern Chase, once a forest, but now enclosed, included most of the parish, and extended beyond it; and it belonged, for some time, to the Clares. The parish is ecclesiastically cut into the sections of Great Malvern or Prior church, Guarlford, and North Malvern. The living of the first is a vicarage, of the second a rectory, of the third a p. curacy, in the diocese of Worcester. Valne of the first, £350; of the second, £337. Patron of the first, Lady Emily Foley; of the second, Earl Beauchamp; of the third, the Vicar of Great Malvern.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1848
Malvern, or Great Malvern (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Upton-upon-Severn, Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 8 miles (W.) from Worcester; containing 2768 inhabitants. This place is situated on the eastern declivity of a range of hills separating the counties of Worcester and Hereford, and extending from north to south for nearly nine miles, the greatest elevation being 1440 feet; the heights vary from one to two miles in breadth from east to west, and the most important are the Worcestershire and Herefordshire beacons, the summits of which command highly interesting views extending over several counties. The intrenchments of the British camp, so often the subject of antiquarian research, occupy the greater portion of the Herefordshire Beacon, hence denominated the “Camp Hill;” and at its base is an intrenchment reputed to have been formed by Gilbert de Clare, Earl of Gloucester, as a boundary between his portion of Malvern Chase and that then belonging to the Bishop of Hereford. Here was a hermitage endowed by Edward the Confessor, which, after the Conquest, was converted into a Benedictine priory, a church and conventual buildings being erected in 1083, by Aldewine, the hermit, and endowed by Gisleber, abbot of Westminster, with ample possessions. The priory was subordinate to the abbey of Westminster, and subsisted till the Dissolution, when the revenue was estimated at £375. 0. 6.
The parish comprises 4297a. 1r. 11p. of land, exclusive of common and waste. The village or town is situated in an elevated, dry, and sheltered situation fronting the vale of the Severn, and is one of the most ancient and celebrated inland watering-places in Great Britain, having frequently been honoured by royal visits, and being always the residence of many of the nobility and gentry: Her present Majesty, when Princess, resided here with her august mother, for some time. The society is of the first order; during the summer months the place is very full, and often crowded. There are several excellent hotels, the principal of which are the Foley Arms and the Belle Vue, with various boarding and lodging houses; many of the mansions are surrounded by extensive shrubberies and pleasure-grounds. The library is a handsome building in the Italian style, and is well supplied with books and newspapers; a part is appropriated to a bazaar, and adjoining are baths and billiard-rooms. The purity and invigorating quality of the waters here, for the use of which the most elegant accommodation is provided, and the salubrity of the air, have long given celebrity to Malvern, as a retreat for invalids. The water of St. Ann’s Well, on the side of the Worcestershire Beacon, contains, on analysis, the following proportions: of sulphuric acid, ·660 gr.; muriatic acid, ·640; soda, ·300; lime, ·205; magnesia, ·528; silicious matter, ·500; precipitate, and loss, ·167; total 3·000. There is a similar spring, called the Holy Well, about two miles southward (see Malvern Wells); and a little below the church is a mild chalybeate. On the eastern side of North Hill are “The Tanks,” built at the expense of Charles Morris, Esq., of Portmansquare, for the use of the neighbouring poor.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £8. 3. 4., and in the patronage of Lady Emily Foley; net income, about £300; impropriator, Earl Beauchamp. The church, formerly that of the Benedictine priory, was purchased at the Dissolution by the inhabitants, and made parochial; it is a beautiful and venerable cruciform structure, with an embattled tower rising from the centre. Part of it was rebuilt under the direction of Sir Reginald Bray, in the reign of Henry VII., and the exterior is in the style of that period. The interior retains much of its original character: the nave is Norman, with low massive piers and circular arches; the chancel, aisles, and remaining transept are in the pointed style. The ancient windows are exceedingly magnificent. For the preservation of this noble building, the public are in a great degree indebted to the late vicar, the Rev. Henry Card, D.D., who during a period of thirty years was indefatigable in obtaining subscriptions for its repair. The south aisle of the chancel has recently been restored, and fitted up with a pulpit, lectern, benches, and a screen of richly carved oak, at the expense of the present vicar; it is used for week-day and occasional services. At Barnard’s Green is a church dedicated to St. Mary, built in 1844, at a cost of £2000; it is in the early English style, with a campanile tower: the living is in the patronage of the Vicar. The Countess of Huntingdon’s Connexion have a place of worship. Two national schools are supported by subscription, affording instruction to nearly 300 children. A dispensary was established in 1830, and a visiting society in 1840.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
WORCESTERSHIRE DELINEATED C. AND J. GREENWOOD 1822
Malvern (Great) – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 8 miles S.W. from Worcester, 6 from Upton, and 116 from London; containing 293 inhabited houses. Here was formerly a magnificent monastery, the church of which still remains, having been purchased by the inhabitants, and made parochial at the dissolution. It is built in the form of a cross, 171 feet long, and 63 broad. A handsome embattled tower, containing six bells and a set of chimes, rises from its centre. It has lately been repaired and beautified at a very considerable expense. The arms of those who have contributed towards this object are painted on one of the windows. There are several hotels and boarding houses, with every convenience for those who resort here for the benefit of the waters. A public library has lately been erected on a scale commensurate with the increased prosperity of the place. The church is a vicarage; Rev. Henry Card, incumbent; instituted 1815; patron Lord Foley. Population, 1801, 819 – 1811, 1205 – 1821, 1568.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
UNIVERSAL BRITISH DIRECTORY 1791
Great Malvern is seven miles from Worcester, a village so eminently known for its beautiful prospects deserves admiration and attention, having good inns and a hotel for the accommodation of visitors. The principal inhabitants are Mr. John Ballard, Attorney; and Mr. William Osbaldeston, Surgeon and Apothecary.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870
Barnard’s Green, a village 1 mile ESE of Great Malvern, Worcester. It has a post-office under Great Malvern; and is a curacy to that place.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Bowers Hen., Great Malvern, Worcestersh., lodging-housekeeper, Nov. 24, 1835.
Clarke Charles, Great Malvern, Worcestershire, innkeeper, Feb. 18, 1840.
Dolby Richard, Great Malvern and Kidderminster, miller, Oct. 11, 1839.
Dawes Henry, Great Malvern, Worcestershire, maltster, May 18, 1827.
Dawes Hen., Gt. Malvern, Worcestersh., maltster & corn factor, Aug. 15, 1837.
Griffiths William, Great Malvern, draper and grocer, Dec. 5, 1837.
M‘Cann Thomas, Great Malvern, Worcestershire, builder, Aug. 8, 1837.
Morison Andrew, Gt. Malvern, Worcestersh., lodging-house keeper, Oct. 8, 1841.
New Moses, Crown Inn, Gt. Malvern, Worcestersh., innkeeper, May 20, 1842
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powyke
- Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury