Himbleton (anciently Humliton) is a parish and village within the parliamentary borough of Droitwich, being distant 5 miles S.E. of that town, and 7 N.E. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Halfshire; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; union, county court district, petty sessional division, and polling district of Droitwich; annual rateable value, £3,423; acreage, 1,894; population in 1861, 410; in 1871, 447, and of Shell (ecclesiastically connected with Himbleton) 52, making in all 499; inhabited houses, 94, and Shell 11, total, 105. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are Lord Edmund Talbot, Captain Douglas Galton, Sir Richard Paul Amphlett, Knt., Edward Bearcroft, Esq., Henry Bearcroft, Esq., Theodore Howard Galton, Esq., Mrs. Vernon, and the Rev. H. D. Woodhouse, M.A. The soil is principally clay, producing wheat, beans, &c. Lime-burning is carried on to a considerable extent by Messrs. Rawson H. and Alfred W. Godard, of Tibberton. Himbleton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; living, a vicarage, value £140, derived from 113 acres of glebe and small money payments in lieu of tithes, and there is a vicarage house; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; vicar, Rev. Henry David Woodhouse, M.A., Christ’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1865. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is an ancient edifice with chancel, nave, north aisle, south chapel, wooden porch, and tower, containing four bells. There is Norman, Early English, and Perpendicular work here, with fragments of old glass containing the invocation “Ora pro nobis.” A south transept called the “Shell Chapel” belongs to the hamlet of Shell. There are some objects of interest in the church. The register begins with the year 1713. All the charities have been lost. The national school for 68 children, with teacher’s residence, was built in 1873 for Himbleton and Shell. Phepson is a hamlet 1 mile N.; Dunhampstead is close to Oddingley, 2 miles N.W.; Shernall Green is 2 ½ N.W.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Droitwich and are delivered about 9 a.m. The wall letter-box is cleared at 5 p.m. on week-days only. Droitwich and Feckenham are the nearest money-order and telegraph offices. Post town, Droitwich.
Parish Church (St, Mary Magdalene). – Rev. Henry David Woodhouse, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. George Wythes and Thomas Bent, Churchwardens; William Tovey, Sexton.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Clara Percival, Mistress.
Carrier to Worcester. – George Cottrill on Saturdays.
Woodhouse Rev. Henry David, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Bent Thomas, farmer, Phepson farm
Brown Francis, farmer, Dunhampstead
Bullock James, beer retailer (Drainers’ Arms) Earl’s common
Chambers Thomas, farmer; res., Boycott, Droitwich
Colley Richard, shopkeeper, Saleway
Corbett John, cottage farmer, Phepson
Cottrill John, cottage farmer
Davis John, shopkeeper, Earl’s common
Farmer James, farmer, Phepson
Fincher Mrs. Jane, cottage farmer and cider retailer, Pound farm
Gerrard John, farmer, Saldens farm; res., Upper hall, Hampton Lovett
Gibbs John, Himbleton Court farm
Gittus George, wheelwright
Gittus John, Harrow Inn, and shopkeeper
Godard Rawson Henry, farmer & lime burner; res., Evelench farm, Tibberton
Green John, farmer & miller, Shell mill
Greenhill John, boot and shoe maker
Hollington Ann, New house, Dunhampstead
Hopkins Thomas Meredith, farmer and hop grower, Court farm, Manor House farm, Glebe farm, and Earl’s Common farm; res., Lower Wick, Worcester
Iron Henry, farm bailiff, Saldens farm
Lawrence Joseph, station master, Dunhampstead goods station (Midland railway): res., Dunhampstead cottage
Merrell James, farmer, Manor house, Shell
Rogers Thomas, farmer, Saleway farm
Rogers William, blacksmith
Roper John Townshend, farmer, Woodhouse farm
Tovey William, parish sexton
Wright John, farm bailiff, Manor farm
Wythes George, farmer, Manor farm, Dunhampstead
Yeates Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkpr., Saleway
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.