Hadzor, or Hadsor, is a small parish within the parliamentary borough of Droitwich, being 1 mile S.E. of that town, and 7 N.E. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Halfshire; union, petty sessional division, and county court district of Droitwich; highway district of Redditch; annual rateable value, £1,852; area of parish, 885 acres, 3 roods, 28 perches; population in 1861, 158; in 1871, 135, with 27 inhabited houses ad 31 families or separate occupiers. Theodore Howard Galton, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner, Harry Foley Vernon, Esq., having a small farm in this parish. The soil is chiefly stiff marl; subsoil, clay; chief crops, wheat, beans, barley, and roots. The Birmingham and Worcester canal runs through the parish, as also the Birmingham and Bristol branch of the Midland railway. The country is well wooded and hilly. Hadzor is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; living a rectory united with that of Oddingley; joint value about £550; patron, T. H. Galton, Esq.; rector, Rev. James Bearcroft, B.A., Oriel College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1842, and resides at Oddingley. Netherwood farm, Oddingley, is Hadzor glebe, exchanged under an award of the Enclosure Commission in 1876. The church (St. John’s) has a chancel and nave, with new vestry on north side, and small bell tower at west end, the porch being underneath. It contains curious corbel heads, and Easter recess (sepulchre), stained glass, and other objects of interest; style, Decorated. The earliest register is dated 1554. A Roman Catholic church, dedicated to St. Richard de Wych, of Droitwich, and Bishop of Chichester, who died in 1252, was opened on July 16th , 1878. The building is of brick with Bath stone facings, and occupies a site on the estate of Theodore H. Galton, Esq. It is 50 feet by 20 feet, and will accommodate about 150 persons. Mr. Buckler, of London, was the architect, and Mr. Alexander Stokes, of Droitwich, the builder. There is a Roman Catholic school for boys and girls; it is certified and visited by the government inspector. Hadzor House, the seat of Theodore Howard Galton, Esq., M.A., J.P., D.L., is pleasantly situated. The beautiful gardens and pleasure-grounds were laid out by the late John Howard Galton, Esq., assisted by the advice of Gilpin, Thomas, Nesfield, and other landscape gardeners of eminence. The mansion, which is built in the Italian style, contains a valuable collection of paintings and statuary.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Droitwich, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. John’s). – Rev. James Bearcroft, B.A., Rector; Mr. Thomas Wilson, Churchwarden; Thomas Morgan, Parish Clerk.
Roman Catholic Church (St. Richard’s). – The Very Rev. F. B. Doyle, O.S.F., D.D., Resident Priest.
Roman Catholic School (boys and girls). – Miss Horton, Mistress.
Galton Theodore Howard, Esq., M.A., J.P., D.L., Hadzor house; and Athenaeum Club, Pall Mall, London, S.W.
Doyle Rev. F. B., O.S.F., D.D. (Roman Catholic priest), Hadzor house
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Bickley John, coal dlr., &c., Hanbury whf.
Brown Joseph, farmer, Manor house farm
Clarke William, coal dealer
Gough Henry, gardener, and farm bailiff to T. H. Galton, Esq., D.L., of Hadzor ho.
Morgan Thomas, shopkpr. and parish clerk
Partington John, farmer, Dean farm; res., Sneachill farm, near Worcester
Ward Hy., farmer, Cockshute Hill farm
Wilson Thos., farmer, Hadzor Court farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.