Stoke Prior is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Finstall, Stoke Works.
Church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1557
Nonconformists in Stoke Prior include:
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Stoke Prior
Stoke Prior Imperial Gazetteer 1870
Stoke-Prior, a parish, with a village, in Bromsgrove district, Worcester; on the Birmingham and Worcester canal, and on the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 2 miles SSW of Bromsgrove. It has a post-office under Bromsgrove, and a r. station, called Stoke-Works, with telegraph. Acres, 3,820. Real property, £23,017. Pop., 1,622. Houses, 330. The property is much sub-divided. Finstall Park and Oak Hall are chief residences. There are extensive salt works, flour mills, brick and tile works, and a quarry. The living is a vicarage, united with St. Godwald, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £310. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of W. The church ranges from Norman to later English, and has a fine later English tower. There are a chapel of ease at Finstall, two national schools, a reformatory, and charities £29.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Stoke Prior The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Stoke-Prior, a parish in the middle division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Bromsgrove, county of Worcester; 4¾ miles north-east by north of Droitwich, intersected by the Worcester and Bir mingham canal, and the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a discharged vicarage with the curacy of St. Godwald’s, in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £12; gross income £270. Vicarial tithes commuted in 1772. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Worcester. Here is a day and boarding school. Charities, in 1832, about £20 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £414 1s. Acres 3,500. Houses 212. A.P. £2,493. Pop., in 1801, 327; in 1831, 478.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Stoke Prior Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Stoke Prior – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 3 miles S. from Bromsgrove, and 115 from London; containing 176 inhabited houses. It is a vicarage; Rev. R. George, incumbent; instituted 1814; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 754 – 1811, 796 – 1821, 900.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
The following records for Stoke Prior are available free from FamilySearch.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Bromsgrove
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Droitwich
- Poor Law Union: Bromsgrove
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional Division: Bromsgrove
- County Court District: Bromsgrove
- Polling District: Bromsgrove