Great Comberton is a small parish and village by the river Avon, in the vale of Evesham, from which town it is distant 7 miles S.W., 3 S. of Pershore, and 12 S.E. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Pershore; in the union, petty sessional division, polling and county court district of Pershore; annual rateable value, £1, 801; area, 960 acres; population in 1861, 247; in 1871, 207 with 51 inhabited houses and 60 families or separate occupiers. William Hanford Flood, Esq., is lord of the manor, and the principal landowners are also the Rev. C. H. Parker, the Misses Phipps, Mrs. George, John Smith, Esq., and Thomas S. Shekell, Esq. The soil is marly; subsoil, clay and gravel; drainage generally introduced, and the crops are wheat, beans, barley, turnips, and mangold, together with a very extensive growth of fruit, and a choice sort of cider. Comberton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Pershore. The living is a rectory, value £336, with residence and 19 acres of glebe; patron and rector, Rev. Charles Hubert Parker, M.A., Lincoln College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1826. The church of St. Michael possesses several peculiarities of arrangement, and there are some remains of Saxon work. It has a square embattled tower with pinnacles at each corner, and contains six bells. The nave and chancel have wagon roofs of great interest; the chancel was rebuilt in 1862. The old open seats are very perfect. The register begins with the year 1540. There is a parish school for boys and girls.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Pershore. The wall letter-box is cleared at 6.20 p.m. on week-days only. Pershore is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Michael’s). – Rev. Charles Hubert Parker, M.A., Patron and Rector; Messrs. John Edmund Smith and Joseph Smith, Churchwardens; Robert Groves, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls). – Miss Emma Giles, Mistress.
Carrier to Worcester (via Pershore). – Mrs. Sarah Hopkins, on Wednesdays and Saturdays; stops at the Coventry Arms Inn, Friar street, Worcester, returning therefrom at 4 p.m. the same day.
George Mrs. Ann
Parker Rev. Charles Hubert, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Phipps The Misses, Shalton house
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Aldington Henry, shopkeeper
Careless Theodosia, farmer
Freeman Mrs. Harriet, farmer, Lilworth
George Mrs. Ann, farmer
Gibbs T., farm bailiff for Mr. G. Smith
Giles Miss Emma, schoolmistress
Groves Robert, boot and shoe maker, shopkeeper, overseer, and parish clerk
Groves William, carpenter
Hopkins Mrs. Sarah, carrier to Worcester
Mann Henry, fisherman and osier dealer
Mytton Miss Eliza, farmer
Phipps The Misses, farmers, Shalton farm
Ricketts Mrs. Walter, farmer
Smith George, farmer; res., Fernhill farm, Cropthorne
Smith John Edmund, farmer
Smith Joseph, baker and grocer
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.