Grafton Manor Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879



Grafton Manor was formerly an extra-parochial place and chapelry of Bromsgrove, from which it is distant 2 miles S.W.; it was made over to the monks of Worcester in the reign of Henry III., and has since become a parish. It is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Halfshire; union, petty sessional division, and polling district of Bromsgrove; county court district of Droitwich; annual rateable value, £2,183; area, 1,300 acres; population in 1861, 52; in 1871, 52, with 9 inhabited houses. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is clay and marl; chief crops, wheat, turnips, and pasture. There is no church. The Manor House, now the residence of Major Robert Bourne, J.P., D.L., is an ancient mansion, well worthy of inspection. It belonged to the Staffords and Talbots, and the profits of the chapelry were assigned to provide tapers to burn before the tomb of King John in Worcester cathedral. There is a Roman Catholic chapel attached to the mansion, but it is not now used for service.

Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Bromsgrove, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.

PRIVATE RESIDENT.

Bourne Major Robert, D.L., Manor house

AGRICULTURAL, &C.

Brook William, farmer, West lodge

Francis William, farmer, Warridge lodge

Packwood John, farmer, Park farm

Smith Robert and Alfred, farmers, Bowling green

Whitehair Henry, farmer, The Foxwalks

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.