Grafton Flyford is situated about 8 miles N.N.E. from Worcester, a little out of the main road from Worcester to Alcester. The village is small, and the parish scattered. It contained a population in 1851 of 214 inhabitants.
Flyford was attached to Grafton, to distinguish it from Grafton near Bromsgrove, and also from a brook which runs near to it.
Libbery is a small hamlet, the population of which is returned with the parish.
The Church, which is pleasantly situated on an eminence, is an ancient pile, consisting of nave, chancel, north chapel, and western tower, with embattlements, containing six bells. The prevailing styles are the perpendicular and early English. The tower has rude carved stone figures at each angle. The chancel contains memorials to the Stonehall and Derby families, and a Latin inscription to Rogerus Stonhallus, who was one of the founders of a school here, bearing date 1645. the living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the trustees of the Earl of Coventry. Rev. Bernard Port, M.A., Rector; Rev. William Unett Coates, B.A., Curate; Mr. Henry Price, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.; Summer months, 3 30 p.m.
The School, situated near the church, was founded and endowed by roger Stonehall and Sir John Grafton, who died in 1645. Sir John Grafton, Knight, as shown by the table of benefactions, gave a house, and a quarter of an acre of land, called Child’s Place, in Woodhouse End fields; also a piece of ground called The Stockings, containing about six acres; and also about seven acres in North Piddle fields; the rents to be divided – one moiety towards a school – the other to be again divided, one half towards repairing the church, and the other to be given to the poor. Mr. Roger Stonehall gave £100, to be laid out in land, which purchased one close of about eight acres, for the maintenance of a schoolmaster, to instruct poor men’s children; he also gave the rent of one house and close to be yearly distributed to two of the oldest poor people of the parish. Mr. William Dugard gave one acre of land, the rent to be divided for the school, repairing the church, and the benefit of the poor.
Charities – In addition to the above benefactions, there are several others, which are laid out in bred, &c., and given to the poor of the parish at stated periods in accordance with the will of the donors.
Ardin Thomas, wheelwright
Ardin William, farmer, Woodhouse
Biddle George and Henry, farmers, Rectory Farm
Bishop Thomas, shopkeeper
Bolton William, farmer, Hill Top
Cowley John, shopkeeper
Gerrard George, farmer, Hill court
Herbert Mary, farmer, Church Farm
Harris Adonijah George, miller, Grafton Mill
Lamb James, commercial schoolmaster, Registrar of Birth and Deaths for the Upton Snodsbury District, and Assistant Overseer, School House
Lilley Joseph, shoe maker
Pardoe James, farmer, Shattery
Pardoe William, farmer, Jaspers
Ewins John, farmer
Read William, farmer, Libbery Farm
Price, Parish Clerk
Wythes William, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855