Grafton-Super-Flyford (the latter name a streamlet so called) is a village and parish 7 ½ miles E. of Worcester on the road for Alcester, 8 S.E. of Droitwich, and 7 N. of Pershore; in the eastern division of the county, and hundred of Upper Pershore; union, petty sessional division, and county court district of Pershore; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; polling district of Inkberrow; annual rateable value, £1,820; area of parish, 1,640 acres; population in 1861, 225; in 1871, 234, with 51 inhabited houses, and 55 families or separate occupiers. The Earl of Coventry is lord of the manor and principal landowner. William Laslett, Esq., and Henry Moore, Esq., are also landowners here. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay; chief crops, wheat, barley, beans, and oats. Grafton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Pershore; living, a rectory; value £260, with residence; patron, the Earl of Coventry; rector, Rev. Alfred Ernest Richings, who was instituted in 1876. The church of St. John, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1875; the cost of the chancel was defrayed by the Rev. G. R. Port, the then rector, and the remainder of the building by subscription. It is chiefly in the perpendicular style, and consists of chancel with small chapel on the north side, nave, and western tower containing five bells, on which are some curious inscriptions. A new rectory-house was erected in 1878. There is a free school here, poorly endowed; and many bequests have been left in aid of the school, the poor, and the repairs of the church, which have been the subject of much litigation. Libbery is a hamlet 1 mile S.W.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Worcester, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town. No delivery on Sundays.
Parish Church (St. John’s). – Rev. Alfred Ernest Richings, Rector; Mr. James Pardoe and Miss Mary Herbert, Churchwardens; James Lamb, Parish Clerk.
Free Church School (boys and girls). – Mr. James Lamb, Master; Mrs. Lamb, Sewing Mistress.
Carriers to Worcester. – John Clarke (from Stock green) passes through on Saturdays; Ryland and Marshall pass through on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Richings Rev. Alfred Ernest (rector), The Rectory
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Atkins William, farmer, Jasper’s farm; res., Bath road, Worcester
Bluck Benjamin, shopkeeper
Bolton Thomas, farmer; res., Kington
Court Thomas, farmer; res., North Piddle
Cowley George & Oliver, farmers, Woodhouse end
Cowley John, shopkeeper
Cowley Richard, Rose cottage
Harris Adonijah George, miller and farmer, Grafton mill and Libbery farm
Herbert The Misses Mary and Martha, farmer, Church farm
Lacy James, farmer, Woodhouse end
Lamb James, schoolmaster, parish clerk, assistant overseer, and registrar of births and deaths for Upton Snodsbury district
Pardoe James, farmer, Hill court and Rectory farm
Seeney James, farmer, Hill Top farm
Stephens William, shopkeeper
Streeter Edwin, farmer, Libbery
Unton Nathaniel, farmer, The Elms farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.