Redmarley D’Abitot is a village and parish, about 6 miles S.E. from Ledbury, containing in 1841 a population of 981 inhabitants, and 1192 in 1851.

The National Land company purchased an estate in this parish called the “Lowbands,” and erected a number of cottages for the members of that company, but at the present time we understand there is not more than one of the original tenants on the estate, which is now in other hands. At first sight the tenements have a very pretty effect, and appear to be well suited for the labouring classes. They were designed by that enthusiast, Fergus O’Connor, Esq., who at the present time is, we believe, an inmate of a Lunatic Asylum.

The Church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a stone erection, in the Gothic style of architecture, with a very handsome tower, containing a fine peal of six bells. The font is very ancient. The living is a Rectory. Rev. Edward Niblett, M.A., Rector; Rev. Alfred Newton, Curate; Mr. Joseph Lowe, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

The National School is supported by contributions and the children’s payments. No mistress had been appointed at the tie our information was taken.


Commeline Miss N., Round Bush

Cooper Edward, Esq., Wetherdine

Moore J., Esq., Fairfield

Newton Rev. Alfred, Curate

Niblett Rev. Edward, Rector, Rectory

Palmer Frederick, Esq., Down House

Robert Major-General H. G., Hazeldine House

Wigley Mrs. Mary, Hawtridge House

Allen Richard, shopkeeper, Hawcross

Aston John, shoe maker

Barland Charles, shopkeeper

Barland Edward, veterinary surgeon

Beach John, farmer, Redmarley Park

Brooks Edward, blacksmith

Brundel John, farmer

Clarke William, farmer, The Heath

Colwell John, cooper, The Rock

Cooper James, farmer, Saxfield House

Crowse John, miller, Blackford’s Mill

Daniels John, shoe maker

Dobbins Robert, farmer and Constable

Edwards Thomas, farmer, King’s Green

Finch William, farmer, Berend Farm

Fisher Henry, butcher, Park Gate

Fryer Edwin, butcher

Goode William, shoe maker

Hawkins Joseph, farmer, Hart’s Farm

Hidden Wm., shopkeeper, Round Bush

Hodges William, farmer, Evrest

Hooper William, farmer

Hughes Benjamin, carpenter, Hawcross

Jones Samuel, victualler, Rose and Crown

Keel Thomas, shoe maker

Lowe Joseph, tailor and Parish Clerk

Owen Anne, Sub-Postmistress

Page Thomas, wheelwright and shopkeeper

Pennell John, farmer, Bury Court

Powell John, shopkeeper and carpenter

Preston John, shoe maker, Redmarley Green

Priddey John, beer retailer, The Oak

Robinson John, blacksmith

Robinson Mrs., farmer, The Heath

Russell James, farmer and miller, Bury Mill

Stallard Joseph, farmer, Chapel Farm

Stephens James, carpenter and wheelwright

Stephens Mary, beer retailer

Stoke Charles, farmer, Murrell’s End

Tandy William, gardener, The Heath

Teague William, shopkeeper and bricklayer

Whittle Sarah, farmer, Carpenter’s Farm

Wilkes George, tailor, Hawcross

Williams John, bailiff to Mr. J. Stallard

Post Office – Owen Anne, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 3 30 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855