Kyre Magna, or Great Kyre, is a small Parish situate 4 miles S. from Tenbury, containing in 1851 a population of 136 inhabitants.

The Church is a small, ancient edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, and south transept, with western tower and spire of wood. The transept and chancel have late Norman arches, and the former has a piscina. The eastern chancel window is of neatly stained glass, and the chancel contains several marble monuments to the memory of the family of the Pytts. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of William Lacon Childe, Esq. Rev. T. E. M. Holland, Curate; Mr. William Benbow, Clerk. Service – 12 p.m.

DIRECTORY

Childe William L., Esq., Kyre House

Box John, tailor

Davis Reece, blacksmith

Hill Richard, farmer, The Firs

Jones William, farmer, Pigeon House

Maylett Ann, farmer, Kyre Cottage Owens James, farmer, Kyre Common

Patrick John Waldron, farmer, The gate House

Winton The Misses, ladies’ boarding and day school, Parsonage

Post Office – Mr. Reece Davis, Sub-Postmaster, Arrival, 11 a.m.; despatch, 3 30 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855