Kington Billings Worcestershire Directory 1855



Kington is a small parish, distant about 10 miles E. from Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 153 inhabitants.

The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a small, ancient structure, consisting of nave, chancel, and small western tower, the base of which, similar to several other churches in this neighbourhood, is of stone, the upper portion being of wood, with a tiled roof. From the appearance of the oldest portions of the building, it seems to be of about the beginning of the thirteenth century: some portions of the rood-screen are still to be seen at the back of the pulpit. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of T. B. Vernon, Esq. Rev. Edwin Crane, B.A., Rector; Isaac Harris, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.

DIRECTORY

Ballinger Thomas, farmer

Burford John, victualler and shopkeeper, White Hart

Cooper Thomas, farmer

Cowley Henry, farmer, Portway

Harris Isaac, Parish Clerk

Hewitt Francis Henry, farmer, Bourne’s Farm

Laight George, farmer, Laight Green

Nash John, farmer and miller, Church Farm; also of the Upper Farm, Church House

Phillips Edmund, farmer, Cockshut

Ryland Samuel, farmer, blacksmith, and shopkeeper

Sherwood William, farmer

Stanley George, shoe maker

Carrier – Worcester, Ryland, from house, Sat., 7 a.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855