Last Updated on
Inkberrow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Cokehill, Cookhill, Morton Underhill, and Noberry, formerly called Newborough, Oldberrow Green, Egioke.
Morton Underhill and Noberry had each formerly a chapel, but no traces of either now remain.
Parish Church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1675
Nonconformists in Inkberrow include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Inkberrow
- Stock and Bradley
- Abbots Morton
- Rous Lench
Historical Descriptions of Inkberrow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Inkberrow, a village and a parish in the district of Alcester and county of Worcester. The village stands near the boundary with Warwick, 5½ miles W of Alcester railway station, and 7 SSW of Redditch; and has a post office under Bromsgrove. The parish contains also a place called Cokehill. Acres, 6, 791. Real property, £14, 313; of which £100 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 711; in 1861, 1, 573. Houses, 365. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Abergavenny. The land is hilly. A nunnery anciently stood at Cokehill; is said, by some authorities, to have been founded by Gervase of Canterbury, in the time of Richard I.; but is said, by others, to have been founded, in 1260, by Isabella, Countess of Warwick, who became one of its nuns. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £850.* Patron, the Earl of Abergavenny. The church is decorated and later English; was repaired in 1841; has a tower; and contains a canopied effigies of John Savage, Esq., of 1 631. There are chapels for Baptists and Methodists, a national school, and church and poors lands yielding £80 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Inkberrow, or Inteborough, co. Worcester.
P. T. Alcester (103) 4½ m. W. Pop. 1667.
A parish in the middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow; living, a vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester; valued in K. B. 16l. 2s. 1d.; church ded. to St. Peter; patron, the Earl of Abergavenny. Here are the ruins of the abbey of Cokehill, founded in 1260 by Isabella, Countess of Warwick, who also took the veil here.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Inkberrow – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 miles N.W. from Alcester, and 107 from London; containing 352 inhabited houses. The living is a vicarage; Rev. William Heath, incumbent; instituted 1792; patron, Earl of Abergavenny. Population, 1801, 1335 – 1811, 1489 – 1821, 1667.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Alcester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Alcester
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury