Rouse Lench is a small village and parish, about 7 miles from Evesham, 6½ from Pershore, and 7 miles from Alcester, containing in 1851 a population of 277 inhabitants.
The Church is a very old stone building, containing nave and chancel. The chancel and south doorway are Norman, and the other portions are in the pointed style of architecture. There is a small bell-cot, containing two bells. In the wall over the south door is a recess, containing a sculptured figure, with the right hand raised, as though in the act of benediction, the left hand holding something, the character of which cannot be ascertained. It is supposed by some persons that the figure is intended to represent St. Peter, to who the church is dedicated. There are several monuments to the Rouse family, among which is a very fine marble one to Lady Frances Rouse, dated 1715, with the statue of that lady is a sitting posture, holding in her right hand a heart; and by her on an urn are two doves billing. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Broughton family. Rev. Charles Pocock, M.A., Rector; Mr. Robert Wilkins, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Fryer Mrs. E.
Pocock Rev. Charles, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Brookes William, wheelwright and carpenter
Checketts Giles, farmer
Collins Henry, carpenter
Cowley William, blacksmith
Dowding John, shoe maker
Gilbert William, farmer
Harwood Jemima, victualler, Wheelbarrow and Castle
Heming Jonathan, miller, Radford Mill
Hodgetts Benjamin, blacksmith
Lane Thomas, farmer, Radford
Partington John, farmer
Rand William, maltster
Tomes Alfred, farmer
Union William B., farmer and victualler, The Bell
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855